List of good therapists

gwho

There should be a thread of recommended therapists that people here have been to.I imagine most people who got interested in seeing a therapist through FDR will not really be aware or know good therapists. Therapists aren't cheap either.We can list therapists by name, website/yelp, phone, email, location.Is there already a big list already? If not, it will be immensely helpful and low-cost to people to list good therapists they've been to.

Since therapists have limited availability, this is a world-wide forum, and only some therapists are willing to work over the Internet, I think their specific names are best shared by word-of-mouth. No one else here sees my particular therapist, she only works locally, and I don't know anyone else here who is local to me and her. The most useful information to share here would be the principles of finding a good therapist, and there are already several posts and podcasts about how to do that. 

Start with the therapist directories here:

http://www.goodtherapy.org/

www.psychologytoday.com

http://www.selfleadership.org/

Talk to friends who are in therapy, and in general, just start calling therapists and talking to them. These two simple actions over time will work like a funnel. A choice that may seem overwhelming and like it has a million possibilities will eventually whittle itself down to "the one" (or "the one for now"). The most important things to find out are how much self-work a therapist has done, how much self-knowledge do they have, have they and do they support their own child self, and will they support yours? 

thanks for the sites.i dont' know anyone in therapy.i wish more therapists listed on yelp for free reviews. understandably, they are protecdtive and not trusting of reviews. kind of like how amazon board members had anxiety over allowing free reviews on all products.I really do want to find one. Perhaps stef and christina is really the best you can find, considering the whole appraoch taken with family, and empiricism. they really are a blessed combo for the world, aren't they?

thanks for the sites.i dont' know anyone in therapy.i wish more therapists listed on yelp for free reviews. understandably, they are protecdtive and not trusting of reviews. kind of like how amazon board members had anxiety over allowing free reviews on all products.I really do want to find one. Perhaps stef and christina is really the best you can find, considering the whole appraoch taken with family, and empiricism. they really are a blessed combo for the world, aren't they?

I do not know about Christina except that Stef is very fond of her and the podcasts she is in she has had some good insights.

Stef, on the other hand is not a therapist. He can bungee in and hit you with a big ball of truth to help you get past a sticking point (which can be incredibly useful) as well as help to apply philosophy to a confusing situation, but this is very different from a long-term therapeutic relationship with a trained professional.

I would definitely suggest going through the sites that cherapple offered. It can be a bit daunting, but even going through types of therapy that you are interested in and finding a therapist who specializes in the area you want to work on can be very useful. Cell them and talk and see how you feel, knock some more off. Set up free office visits with those ones, knock some more off, and then you should be able to narrow it down to at least a few quality options.

This podcast may also help:

How to Find a Great Therapist

http://media.freedomainradio.com/feed/FDR_1927_how_to_find_a_great_therapist.mp3

I do not know about Christina except that Stef is very fond of her and the podcasts she is in she has had some good insights.

Stef, on the other hand is not a therapist. He can bungee in and hit you with a big ball of truth to help you get past a sticking point (which can be incredibly useful) as well as help to apply philosophy to a confusing situation, but this is very different from a long-term therapeutic relationship with a trained professional.

I would definitely suggest going through the sites that cherapple offered. It can be a bit daunting, but even going through types of therapy that you are interested in and finding a therapist who specializes in the area you want to work on can be very useful. Cell them and talk and see how you feel, knock some more off. Set up free office visits with those ones, knock some more off, and then you should be able to narrow it down to at least a few quality options.

This podcast may also help:

How to Find a Great Therapist

http://media.freedomainradio.com/feed/FDR_1927_how_to_find_a_great_therapist.mp3

yup i understand all that.thx for the podcast.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.