Novels That Challenge the Default Virtue of Family

Does anybody know of novels/movies that challenge the default virtue of family? Instead of just making reccommendations as I love to do for you guys, I want to know if there are more than the ones I'm about to tell you guys about that you know of.

I've only watched the movie for Precious and later found out it's based on a book, but this story is really emotionally rivetting, very moving, but also quite disturbing. It's about an overweight black teen who gets pregnant and has to learn how to survive in the ghetto amidst her unplanned motherhood. For those of you who don't care for spoilers and still like watching or reading despite of having that knowledge:

It was actually her father that raped and impregnated her. Furthermore, she defoo's from her mother at the end for allowing the molestations of her father to continue for most of her life.

I don't mind minor spoilers, I'll still watch or read to see how it gets there, but if there's something big(like Fight Club's plot twist), I would prefer to let it be a surprise.

Then there's Island Girl, which you can read an excerpt here if you'd like, written by my own college professor. I think I must have read this book about 2-3 times by now. It's about a self proclaimed juniour-senior named Ruby, who is diagnosed with early onset alzeihmer's, and lives in a house that her grandparents built on Ward's Island off the coast of Toronto. She has two daughters named Liz and Grace. Grace lives with Ruby, has a mild retardation and is also under arrest, while Liz is an alcoholic who used to be a lawyer and also lives on her own in downtown Toronto.

Basically, Ruby is afraid that once her mind goes, she fears that Grace would be unable to keep the family home that doubles as their family business (they run a salon together), and her deepest desire is that Liz sobers up and comes home to take care of her and take over the owneship over the house. This is the first book I read that challenged the default virtue of family because although Ruby is stricken with a horrible disease, she hasn't been a very good mother, so Liz is reluctant to really give a shit.

It's a fascinating read, it's written in all three of their perspectives, their voices are very distinct, and each of their own sublots provide a ton of variety to the story. Having this multiciplicty of perspectives to see the story through makes for a heightened sense of empathy as you begin to understand each woman's motivations and how if the others only knew how one of them felt and thought, things would just work out for the better. Not to mention it is also hilarious at times despite the amount of feels it'll provide lol.

I highly suggest you order it or download the e-book. I believe there needs to be more novels like this that are written in such a clever and genuine style that PUNCHES YOU IN THE SOUL!!! :D

Anyways, got any of your own recommendations? I feel like FDR is a goldmine of sharing stuff, I've certainly become a big fan of a few things people have recommended to me like the work of John Bradshaw or a variety of podcast series based on writing. 

I'm not sure if these count, since they are fiction. 

Posted Image

The trilogy consists of:

• Homeland (1990) — Homeland follows the story of Drizzt from around the time and circumstances of his birth and his upbringing amongst thedrow (dark elves). The book takes the reader into Menzoberranzan, the drow home city. From here, the reader follows Drizzt on his quest to follow his principles in a land where such feelings are threatened by all his family including his mother Matron Malice. In an essence, the book introduces Drizzt Do'Urden, one of Salvatore's more famous characters from the Icewind Dale Trilogy.
  • Exile (1990) — Exile tells the story of Drizzt outside of the drow cities in the open wilderness of the Underdark. For the ten years following his abandoning his house, he is left with no one but his faithful Guenhwyvar, a magical panther he had acquired in Homeland. Drizzt is also met with great dangers that he meets with the business ends of his scimitars. Struggling with conflicting emotions, which involve his failure in Menzoberranzan and a deep grief for his father and friend Zaknafein, he makes his way to the surface to face newer dangers.
  • Sojourn (1991) — Sojourn is the story of Drizzt coming to the surface of the world and facing adversity due to the infamy of his kin. It follows him trying to find his place among the humans that live between the city of Sundabar and Citadel Adbar. He is rejected, and hunted, before meeting and living with an elderly blind man known as Montolio DeBrouchee. Montolio teaches Drizzt what it means to become a ranger and together they defend Mooshie's home against a raid by local orcs. Drizzt ultimately leaves the Sundabar area and makes his way toIcewind Dale where he befriends Catti-brie and Bruenor Battlehammer and finds a place to call home.

Yeah novels do = fiction, but I am surprised by this being fantasy books.

And that they would have those kinds of themes aside from collect the crystal and vanquish evil.

Yeah I know not all fantasy books are that generic, I read a pretty good Dungeons and Dragons based trilogy that had depth lol. Thanks for the suggestions, love for people to keep em coming.

I've been reading EM Forster after hearing Stef reference him and his books a few times.   It's a lot about relationships and connecting with others through honesty (sound familiar?), Truth, etc. and the big questions in life.   I loved A Room With a View and I'm currently reading Howard's End and I'm loving it as well so far.  I picked up used copies for cheap on Amazon.  Does any one know of any similar authors?

Anyone know when Stef's recommended reading list is going to come out?   I want to read the books that (especially the fiction) that moved/affected him the most.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.