Real Conversation

Guest Ethan Glover

Man you are an excellent writer. I think you are wrong about men and football though, I always thought those activities were designed to avoid real conversation :P

The guidelines you mention for conversation are good and I've intuitively known them all my life, though I haven't always practiced them. I used to consider etiquette as unnecessary, a frivolous tool more suitable for manipulators and hypocrites, but that assumes logical arguments are persuasive enough on their own. As I've grown wiser I've come to appreciate presentation almost as much as the ideas themselves, with the realization that generating thought in other people's minds is a more worthy goal than merely passing along your own.

One of the biggest challenges for me in regards to conversation is thinking everyone has something interesting to say, and therefore everyone is deserving of my time. It is difficult to draw the line between prematurely judging people and allowing yourself to be bored to tears. Anyway great stuff thanks for sharing.

Guest Ethan Glover

Thanks cynicist. It's sometimes hard to look at cheesy rules about etiquette seriously because you automatically think of suit and tie ball room affairs and hoity toity people talking about wine. But every once in awhile you'll meet someone whom you want to be around and want to look up to and you don't really know why. I think etiquette and curiosity lays at the base of the personalities of those people.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.