Highlighting children's pain with street photography

TacTZilla

Hi folks.

I'm hoping to help raise awareness of peaceful parenting through my street photography.

Any ideas on how my images could be used to do this would be greatly appreciated.

If you can use or share the images in any way, please feel free. High resolution versions are available if required.

http://500px.com/HotDogPhotography/stories/3840358/the-children-are-our-future

Many thanks.

Bob

Really good stuff, they tell a story very quickly and effectively.  Kids having a bad time in a world of mostly indifferent adults.

Just looking at these in isolation I was vicariously worried about you being thought of as a pedophile for such shots, (I mean, in the insane world)  but when I saw the rest of your collection it made more sense.  Never shot street stuff myself, but I assume it's a little easier with a higher crowd density.  If you were wearing a trenchcoat and shooting kids at a distance with a long telephoto lens you might have more problems. :P

If it were me I'd do them all in b&w, I think the b&ws are more effective and have better image quality.  Wait, hang on: I like this look best:

http://500px.com/photo/2096027

Just my 2 cents.

Nice work!

I liked The Torturer, in particular. 

I don't really have any advice for you, I just thought I'd say keep it up.  I think it's a great idea, and well done. 

I don't know how different the UK might be, but I was thinking about the US and sports.  I can't the count the number of kids I played sports with that hated doing it.  Parental abuse was everywhere, though I wouldn't have called it abuse as a child.  Perhaps kids' sporting events would make for a good setting or theme you could do a collection of.  Also, it would have the added benefit that you would just blend in with other parents and avoid the pedophile/creeper confrontations.  That would be my 2 cents as someone with an appreciation for, but no talent in art.  I would also second Nathan's thoughts about black & white.  I've always liked black & white photography, somehow the color can seem to be distracting. 

Keep it up!

Good job! I especially like the picture of the two kids with the rifles hitting each other.Ideas:-Try going to a karate studio. I work at one, and children are mistreated (im quitting my job)-A kid on a leash would be an obvious addition to the collection

-Try going to a restaurant, you might find an adult ignoring a kid, busy on her phone-If you go to a toystore you might find highly possessive children

ARGH kids on leashes. I see that, and I don't CARE if Dora is plastered all over it. "Hold the little bastard's hand you dumb, unenlightened moron!" Is all I want to say to those parents.

Anyways yeah these are very good shots.

I particularly like  I'm Not Heard and In Trouble. Oh man the boy's tense shoulders and his grimace, I wonder if he already expects how this will pan out. As for the girl, how frustrating that could be that her mother (assuming that is her mother) with all that nasty cellulite would rather choose shopping over giving her daughter attention.

I would start selling these photos to article writers that defend children's rights. There is some very good anti-spanking articles out there, as well as ones that cover other subtle forms such as abuse, and they are lacking in photo accompanyment (is that even a word and did I spell it right?). That's one way to use them effectively, try to find article sites like www.psychologytoday.com who post the latest scientific findings on the effects of child abuse and see if you can work a deal with them letting you use your photos for articles that closely link to your photos messages.

• 4 weeks later...

I really like the first connection you shared. That really is an interesting way to display bad parenting techniques. It's amazing how much information is contained in a simple photograph. You definitely have a special skill with the camera.

However in regards to the second collection you linked I don't understand its purpose. Do you think children competing in martial arts is wrong? Or are you simply using your photography as a way to explore the topic?

I'm not sure where you could use them other than peaceful parenting blogs and maybe offering them to progressive authors on child behavior.

In any case, you've got great photo skills and an eye for interesting interactions.

Many thanks for the kind words.

Hi LanceD. I doubt very much that any child who was raised peacefully would naturally decide they were interested in fighting with other kids in this way.

What I saw was traumatised kids with parents pushing them on and shouting instuctions at them. The interaction between the smallest child and his father was very concerning.

The child had that 'vacant awareness' stare that is often a sign of abuse.

Many thanks for the kind words. Hi LanceD. I doubt very much that any child who was raised peacefully would naturally decide they were interested in fighting with other kids in this way.What I saw was traumatised kids with parents pushing them on and shouting instuctions at them. The interaction between the smallest child and his father was very concerning.The child had that 'vacant awareness' stare that is often a sign of abuse.

I think you are witnessing bad parents putting their kids in martial arts and confusing it for problem with martial arts themselves. The dad fact is a majority of parents are bad parents and competitive activities tend to attract a particular variety of bad parent. So while I would never doubt your observations I would suggest you refrain from generalizing before looking further into such a topic. I'm a peaceful parent yet my son is very interested in doing martial arts. I would also say that for many boys they can be an incredibly beneficial activity. A lot of boys, mine in particular, have an immense amount of energy and a need to do things with their bodies. My son is in constant motion, even when he decides to "relax" and read a book he remains in motion, usually bouncing around his room with the book in his hands. Physical activity is important for children like this. Further more martial arts can be great ways to build some serious confidence. As well as learning to protect one's self and in my opinion every free person should learn to defend one's self.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.