Herros journey

aFireInside

Allot of story tellers and philosophers talk 

about something called a heroes journey. 

Where the young or old man breaks the norm and goes on a journey . 

I say old also because if we look at movies like "Up" and "the secret life of walter mitty " .

Its old men or middle aged men who go on a heroes journey . 

I was wondering if stef has made a podcast on his journey. 

Or anything about this topic. 

"A call to action" 

I remember reading the book "the alchemist " and it made me cry . 

I couldn't read certain passages. (even though it is a little spiritual its based on allot of real concepts) 

It seems that this topic hits a cord for me and i would like to hear what you guys and stef have to say about it . 

It takes a lot of courage to go off the beaten path in search for inner peace.

It can be gained in many different ways, but they are unique to the adventurer.

We need to break away from all that is assumed, and all that is deemed obvious, and work from scratch.

To do this, in spite of all the opposition, ignorance and thoughtlessness that exists in the world, is a feat not many will make.

Only certain people, who can look at the future, and abandon their so-called comforts, have the ability to live in this new world.

For many, they have to rely only on themselves, and their own motivation for growth and truth, but others, as we are, are luckier.

They have found a place, and I believe it is the only place, where honesty is rewarded, and empathy is nearly omnipresent.

We are truly gifted by this community, and by the inhabitants' efforts. Thank you to everyone who makes this possible.

I haven't read that book, but I can certainly understand and empathize with the strong emotions that come from true creativity and openness to

oneself.

Here is one of Stefan's podcasts on his journey : http://cdn.media.freedomainradio.com/feed/FDR_466_My_Personal_Journey_To_Freedom.mp3

Keep on doing the right thing, my friend. I hope I was able to express myself clearly enough.

Once again, thank you for being open to yourself and to us, you make this place so much better by your presence.

It takes a lot of courage to go off the beaten path in search for inner peace.

It can be gained in many different ways, but they are unique to the adventurer.

We need to break away from all that is assumed, and all that is deemed obvious, and work from scratch.

To do this, in spite of all the opposition, ignorance and thoughtlessness that exists in the world, is a feat not many will make.

Only certain people, who can look at the future, and abandon their so-called comforts, have the ability to live in this new world.

For many, they have to rely only on themselves, and their own motivation for growth and truth, but others, as we are, are luckier.

They have found a place, and I believe it is the only place, where honesty is rewarded, and empathy is nearly omnipresent.

We are truly gifted by this community, and by the inhabitants' efforts. Thank you to everyone who makes this possible.

I haven't read that book, but I can certainly understand and empathize with the strong emotions that come from true creativity and openness to

oneself.

Here is one of Stefan's podcasts on his journey : http://cdn.media.freedomainradio.com/feed/FDR_466_My_Personal_Journey_To_Freedom.mp3

Keep on doing the right thing, my friend. I hope I was able to express myself clearly enough.

Once again, thank you for being open to yourself and to us, you make this place so much better by your presence.

Wow, thanks for your time and the link to the podcast . 

I do understand everything you wrote, we are lucky to be in this community . 

: ) 

There are many stories/movies with that topic, the well known "coming of age" genre. In my opinion, there are certain ingredients of travelling (on your own) that contribute to a feeling of maturity:

1) You are away from all your relationships for a while, family and friends, which, in the case of a young person who lives at home or close to his parents, allows them to get a different perspective and take stock. Also, you don't have to hide who you are or what you think (but I repeat myself), you don't have to pretend to be someone you're not, it is easier to have integrity

2) In most journeys you come across different situations, or "adventures", that compel you to make choices and to take action with whatever resources you have at your disposal, which are more limited than usual because you're far away from home. This is actually very important because most of us live lives of certain conformity, not actually being "pushed" to take any action to reach our goals, but when you're travelling that's different, you really get into it.

3) In a journey, you can sort of forget about many of the things that we feel chain us to a certain path back home, like our studies, our jobs, our careers, etc. and that opens up new possibilities, you're more open and receptive to new ideas

To sum up, I think that journeys are huge sets of opportunities to take (moral?) action with an increased feeling of freedom, which results in an increase of your self-knowledge.

Did you find this useful? Why does it strike a chord with you?

I think of the hero's path as something undertaken for the self. The principle usually boils down to a young person begins to come of age. During that time a mentor will usually arrive and thus training the young adept at a certain skill until the hero gains proficiency. Then the hero can pursue the goals that he/she wishes to attain with the newly mastered skill set. That is how it usually goes in movies and books. 

The problem is that there is no outside agent who cares enough about you to spend the time to teach you something properly. This task is usually left to parents, and who for the most part do a terrible job. I think heroism in this sense is a journey of the self. You must become your own mentor, you must become your own Obi-Wan Kenobi. The process of heroism never stops because the skills you need to thrive are never ending. People like Stefan help along the way to provide valuable knowledge, but it's application is left up to you. Heroism is about first overcoming the social dogma of hopelessness and then learning how to master your environment by guiding behavior, emotions and cognition to a specific goal. This goal having a sound moral and philosophical consistency, is the path of heroism.

In stories, heroes usually venture forth in the service of others. We do it for the truth.

Thank you for the vulnerability, Ivan! I've got two questions. Is it the heroism or the journey that brings up stronger emotions in you? Have you read Robert Frosts' poem The Road Not Taken?

There are many stories/movies with that topic, the well known "coming of age" genre. In my opinion, there are certain ingredients of travelling (on your own) that contribute to a feeling of maturity:

1) You are away from all your relationships for a while, family and friends, which, in the case of a young person who lives at home or close to his parents, allows them to get a different perspective and take stock. Also, you don't have to hide who you are or what you think (but I repeat myself), you don't have to pretend to be someone you're not, it is easier to have integrity

2) In most journeys you come across different situations, or "adventures", that compel you to make choices and to take action with whatever resources you have at your disposal, which are more limited than usual because you're far away from home. This is actually very important because most of us live lives of certain conformity, not actually being "pushed" to take any action to reach our goals, but when you're travelling that's different, you really get into it.

3) In a journey, you can sort of forget about many of the things that we feel chain us to a certain path back home, like our studies, our jobs, our careers, etc. and that opens up new possibilities, you're more open and receptive to new ideas

To sum up, I think that journeys are huge sets of opportunities to take (moral?) action with an increased feeling of freedom, which results in an increase of your self-knowledge.

Did you find this useful? Why does it strike a chord with you?

Yeah, thats exactly what i was talking about. 

It seems like a recurring theme i see in stories, movies, and people . 

I think of the hero's path as something undertaken for the self. The principle usually boils down to a young person begins to come of age. During that time a mentor will usually arrive and thus training the young adept at a certain skill until the hero gains proficiency. Then the hero can pursue the goals that he/she wishes to attain with the newly mastered skill set. That is how it usually goes in movies and books. 

The problem is that there is no outside agent who cares enough about you to spend the time to teach you something properly. This task is usually left to parents, and who for the most part do a terrible job. I think heroism in this sense is a journey of the self. You must become your own mentor, you must become your own Obi-Wan Kenobi. The process of heroism never stops because the skills you need to thrive are never ending. People like Stefan help along the way to provide valuable knowledge, but it's application is left up to you. Heroism is about first overcoming the social dogma of hopelessness and then learning how to master your environment by guiding behavior, emotions and cognition to a specific goal. This goal having a sound moral and philosophical consistency, is the path of heroism.

Yes , exactly . 

Yes, the parents should be the teachers but end up being the oppressors . 

In stories, heroes usually venture forth in the service of others. We do it for the truth.

Thank you for the vulnerability, Ivan! I've got two questions. Is it the heroism or the journey that brings up stronger emotions in you? Have you read Robert Frosts' poem The Road Not Taken?

I say the journey because, it shows me what I'm missing.

It makes me feel emotional when i compare myself to others because i want to be like them and go on a "journey" . 

Its kind of like, if a prisoner sees a kid playing or a man enjoying life outside of his sell window.

No i haven't read the poem, I'm going to search it up . 

I want to thank all the people who replied, as always it helps 

: ) 

I feel divided on the subject because I don't think I agree with the hero's journey as it is. It reminds me too much of Stefan's video on heroism, which I am strong agreement with.

Why I am divided because I do believe such a journey exists, but not in what it is at the moment. I am currently making my way through The Fountainhead for the first time, and though I am hardly finished, I feel it gives a real sense of what a hero's journey ought to be as well as what a hero actually is... Well I suppose if we disregard

the rape scene

Carl Jung also had a lot of interesting thoughts on this matter, and though I forget the specifics I believed it involved what he called individuation, which is a process in which all of the parts of the person becomes whole through self-knowledge work. If anyone is interested in this, I recommend reading Man and His Symbols which covers the concept and a lot of the reason and evidence for it. Even if you don't come away convinced, it still will shift how you view society.

Personally the concept of the hero's journey quite appealing to me at the moment because I really feel like breaking free and becoming a hero. I really wish to live philosophy to its fullest, not just for myself, but to show others what is possible. What I find most difficult is the admission of this, as if it is a form of naive grandiosity, yet I feel that is society talking.

Hold on a minute, now I'm curious, you don't get off the hook that easily *evil laughter*. Who are these other people you compare yourself with, anyone in particular?

I think that I'm also familiar with that feeling of being a prisoner watching people having fun outside. In my case, the image is that there's a party somewhere out there, where everyone I know (or rather, that I'm jealous of) is having the time of their lives.

Let me ask you this, those people enjoying themselves, are they people like Stef and from the FDR community, or are they rich/famous/attractive/"succesfull"?

This might sound unphilosophical but i compare myself to people who i went to high school with . 

I dont really compare myself to rich, famous people. I admire the hard working business people that made it big .

Thanks for the reply, i feel the same way ,,, When you said 

"with that feeling of being a prisoner watching people having fun outside."

I feel divided on the subject because I don't think I agree with the hero's journey as it is. It reminds me too much of Stefan's video on heroism, which I am strong agreement with.

Why I am divided because I do believe such a journey exists, but not in what it is at the moment. I am currently making my way through The Fountainhead for the first time, and though I am hardly finished, I feel it gives a real sense of what a hero's journey ought to be as well as what a hero actually is... Well I suppose if we disregard

the rape scene

Carl Jung also had a lot of interesting thoughts on this matter, and though I forget the specifics I believed it involved what he called individuation, which is a process in which all of the parts of the person becomes whole through self-knowledge work. If anyone is interested in this, I recommend reading Man and His Symbols which covers the concept and a lot of the reason and evidence for it. Even if you don't come away convinced, it still will shift how you view society.

Personally the concept of the hero's journey quite appealing to me at the moment because I really feel like breaking free and becoming a hero. I really wish to live philosophy to its fullest, not just for myself, but to show others what is possible. What I find most difficult is the admission of this, as if it is a form of naive grandiosity, yet I feel that is society talking.

Thanks for that recommendation ill check Carl Jung out . 

I dont nessarary feel like becoming a hero. 

Most stories that involve a heroes journey don't nessarly become heroes. 

Usually they just learn more about themselves. 

and go on an adventure. The world is there oyster 

I like the part when you say breaking free and going on a journey , to live philosophically . 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.