New Year's Resolutions?

ReptilianBrain

I try to just always do what I want to do and constantly try to realign myself with my goals and values.

I have found that New Year's resolutions often are an excuse for people to just do what they have always done, self attack.

Most people fail, and self attack. Occasionally you may succeed because you attacked yourself enough that you stopped doing one bad habit, but still reinforced another bad habit.

I feel like there are healthier ways to set and achieve goals than resolution setting. Maybe someone has a link to a good workbook along these lines or something.

Most of all, if you want to do something, then do it! If you can't, then make steps so that you can! (Assuming what you want to do is not in the "violation of the NAP" realm of things)

I've never made a New Year's resolution, but in the spirit of trying out new things, I'll write down my biggest goals for the upcoming year and see how close I'll get to them. I won't bully myself into achieving them, but it's important to know how closely my conscious goals (what I think I should do) align with the unconscious ones (what I actually do). If there's a mismatch, I'll need to re-evaluate myself. There's definitely some self-knowledge to be gained here. Besides, my attention bounces around to so many things that it's easy to lose track of the big picture. Guess I'll see if a "resolution" can be a good anchor.

Promises I've made to my mecosystem are promises I intend to keep though. They'll be the first on the list.

How about self actualization?

Go big or go home, right? :D

I always used to make goals that I never really had too much control over, like: "I'm going to find a great gal and fall in love" or something like that. The law of attraction has not made it happen for me yet though. Damn you universe!

I did make a resolution one year though to get a job that I'd actually enjoy (being unemployed at the time). I ended up seeing a potential opportunity and I decided to work my ass off to become qualified enough for the position learning two programming languages in the process. It was partly luck, but I was able to pull it off, and I still feel good about that 2 years later.

That being said, most resolutions that had some control over (not necessarily on new years) have never come about. I'd either lose motivation pretty quickly, or I'd get pretty far realizing that I don't want to do it anymore finally considering some obvious things. For example, I thought maybe I'd become a police officer *shudder*.

I never really felt bad about it, but that might not be a great thing. If there's something I truly want and I can't do it or it won't come about for whatever reason, then disappointment feels like an appropriate response. Perhaps, it was because I never used to have very high expectations for myself...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.