Stefan's video "There Is No Such Thing as Mental Illness"

No, it doesn't sound like BS at all. In this community, we call this a mecosystem, which is an idea that Stef developed while researching the science behind the unconscious and applying philosophy to what he found out. There's a therapeutic model based on a similar idea that you may want to check out: Internal Family Systems (IFS).

The mecosystem approach to the unconscious identifies our inner world as an ecosystem of competing ideas and personalities that we internalize through exposure. To a large extent, it's based on the science behind mirror neurons.

For example, let's say I have an inner mum whose personality I've internalized as a kid. If my mother criticized me as a kid, my inner mum part will criticize me as an adult. In a sense, my mother's values and ideas are now competing against all my other parts and will influence my unconscious behaviour whenever the mum part prevails. I won't go into all the details here, but you can look at the IFS approach for additional information.

Personally, examining my mecosystem is a core part of my work on self-knowledge. I often engage my internal parts in a conversation, which helps me learn more about myself and my unconscious drives. In these conversations, apart from listening and being curious, I try to negotiate a mutually beneficial agreement wherein a part may agree to stop acting in a certain way in exchange for something else (a new role, more attention from me and so forth). I come from a pretty traumatic childhood and I found this approach to be really effective.

Can you tell me a little more about your particular approach? How do you bring out the SR in this person? What's your strategy for dealing with the SR when it comes out? Any information on the specifics will be much appreciated.

Thanks for all the information! Are any of you two able to replicate this process on your own? Learning how to dive into your own mind can be quite a challenge. You can maximize the efficiency of your approach by using a cross-cultural reference point for questioning - philosophy. Since I can reference objective standards in my conversations with the mecosystem, I don't need an external arbiter to help me figure something out.

As far as the 'mecosystem' and IFS go, I have had a look at some resources and can say that it is definitely a coping strategy trying to handle and tie together the various reactive components within. None of these 'inner voices' are real, no matter how real they appear to the individual so there is no effective repair when trying to work with them. Short term improvements yes but once any particular implemented strategy is stopped, the status returns to the default. Same happens with drug therapy, if the drug is removed then the person returns to the default state because the cause of the problem is not being removed. What happens if you have a months break from what you are doing?

[edit] After reviewing the ideas put forward by this website's creator I no long wish to be involved with it for personal reasons.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.