how was "swearing", treated in your household?

Save_Yourself

I was coerced with the maddening threat of abandonment by my father, and summoning of my father by my mother, for physical beatings or torture - such as 'washing your mouth out with soap.'

Seriously, fuck that.

My father was a trucker, and he swore worse than a trucker. It was like every other word was 'fuck', especially when talking about me or my mom, or work or mt step-sister. Things like "Fucking piece of shit, bitch", "Grow some fucking balls", "Fucking ma ma's boy", or "Your Mother's a fucking drug addict". But he would usually be stomping around the house in a pissed off and suppressed rage, uttering these words to himself, and if I didnt ask him whats amatter, and offer a listening and very concentrated ear, and agree with him about everything, he'd furiously unleash this verbal abuse upon me more directly and harshly than ever.

If he brought up something like "Your friend cant sleep over", and u saud that's dumb or asked "Why", usually he'd say, "Dont talk back to your parent's - when I was your age...." and list off random threats his single Mom made, such as "My mom would wash my mouth out with soap... throw ash trays at my head... make me sit in the corner of the front of the porch with pissy underwear in my mouth as school kids walked by... kids these days are so spoiled. You pkay too many video games... and it was obvious he was willing and even advocating what his mom did to him. Outrageous and terrifying at the time.

Im so relieved in a way because for so long - today, at twenty-four years old, is the first day I 'swore', in front of another kind of 'authority figure' (he's 40 and my roommate).

What were your experiences with swearing growing up? How do you feel reading this?

You had a terrible childhood and I'm deeply sorry. You did not deserve to be treated with such cruelty.

The thing is though, cussing has absolutely no bearing on your post. I can't help but think that you are using the question you posed as an excuse to tell some of your story.

Well I'm here to tell you that you do not need an excuse. You can tell us anything you need to and we will read it and respond with empathy and understanding.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.