coldest temps in two decades

dsayers

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/dangerous-arctic-temperatures-state-state-impacts-20140107

Guess global warming must be real *snicker*.

I work patrols every night in NW Ohio and was in and out of -40 F wind chill Monday night. I'm also responsible for some snow removal, which I had to do more frequently than ever before just to be able to get in and out. As somebody who does this stuff (and used to get sick like clockwork during seasonal shifts in and out of cold), I'm well dressed for this stuff, including being armored against wind. Not sick yet!

Isn't the point of global warming that you don't get to the coldest point of two decades at the end of those two decades?

Every year is the end of some two-decade period. Every year is also the start of a two-decade period. So it's not meaningful to talk about the coldest year having occurred at the end of a period.

Weather is a chaotic system with huge fluctuations due to its many interacting subsystems. There may be a long-term trend, but twenty consecutive measurements isn't enough to identify that long-term trend.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.