Amsterdam April 2014.. Tell is it so?

PatrickC

So a little birdie mentioned to Joe Rogan that he might be making a trip to the Dam this April. Is this true my shiny headed philosopher friend? :D

If so, then it would seem incumbent (neigh an obligation indeed) to welcome you. If tickets are required for purchasing and the like, please let us (withering on the philosophy european line) know of course. This would be an opportunity I would deeply regret missing.A sudden flush of worry, did I dream this event.. Hmmn, if so, be gentle please.. :D

I don't plan to go to the event itself (the TNW-thing where Stef is one of the speakers), cause even the reduced price is almost 500€. But I'd sure would want to get to Amsterdam for a meet up. That would really be awesome.regarding the Dam and Hamster: Now I'm even more confused.. -_-' (to the googlemobile, I guess :D )

I think this would be a marvelous opportunity to meet up with some newer and older (otherwise unseen before) board members too. Amsterdam in spring will be a nice time of year too. Feel free to connect with me (via my profile). I'm an hour away via London Heathrow, which is on my doorstep.. Let's make it happen. :)

That is exciting news!

We (me and prohexa) would love to join that meetup as well! We'd be coming in from Sweden.

Is there maybe anyone around who could spare a couch for two?

Robin, just like you we unfortunately don't have the budget to listen to the speakers, but we wouldn't want to miss the chance of meeting everyone!

Brilliant!

Yea I think I would prefer to invest e500 into fdr or more bitcoins myself. Unless someone can give me a good reason of course.. But, always good to meet fellow philosophers. Plenty of great things to do in the Dam as well. And I think Stefan deserves a free lunch on my behalf at the very least. :)

Stef this might be your Justin Beiber (or was it Beaver) moment.. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Exceptionalist

Yea I think I would prefer to invest e500 into fdr or more bitcoins myself. Unless someone can give me a good reason of course.. But, always good to meet fellow philosophers. Plenty of great things to do in the Dam as well. And I think Stefan deserves a free lunch on my behalf at the very least. :)

Stef this might be your Justin Beiber (or was it Beaver) moment.. :D

That's right, I wouldn't wanna buy the cow if I want to drink its milk. Who knows, maybe they got comfortable seats and an all you can eat 5 star menu with beluga caviar, lobster, oysters and Sacher cake for desert.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice spot!

Right in between the Vondelpark and the major musea.

The Vondelpark ( Amsterdam's central park) offers some nice terraces / cafe's where we could arrange to meet up.

I'll be there on the 24th, the 25th if I can get the day off.

Ah Lians, this was the area I described (poorly) in my PM to you. Nice area, thanks Ruben... Wanted to say, I'm also expecting to hook up with some of my Dutch anarchist compadres whilst I'm other there too. :)

Ah Lians, this was the area I described (poorly) in my PM to you. Nice area, thanks Ruben... Wanted to say, I'm also expecting to hook up with some of my Dutch anarchist compadres whilst I'm other there too. :)

Yep, I think you were talking about this hostel: http://www.stayokay.com/en/hostel/amsterdam-vondelpark

I'll wait a few more days to see if anyone's up for booking a whole room. Regardless, I'll probably go for either your hostel or Vondelpark.

The reason, why it costs 500€ is because it is a buisness networking conference with lots of expensive high expertise speakers in the field of digital technology. So there is an economic value to that ticket, i.e. for start ups and venture capitalists to connect and gain information.

The reason, why it costs 500€ is because it is a buisness networking conference with lots of expensive high expertise speakers in the field of digital technology. So there is an economic value to that ticket, i.e. for start ups and venture capitalists to connect and gain information.

Yes, I get that.. Except I'm not going there on business of course. This is a journey to thank (and buy dinner for I hope) a man I have much appreciated for some years now.. :D

If anybody has any good venue suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks for the update Michael... The Grasshopper cafe ;).. j/k

Considering the state visit by royalty, it might be better to avoid the centre of the city entirely. As Ruben Z has already mentioned Vondelpark is a nice location to meet up if the weather is fine. A nice quiet and peaceful little park to sit in as I recall, away from the hustle bustle of the city.

I'll see if I can find any venues of particular interest .. what I can already tell you is that the 25th , starting in the evening - night, and especially the 26th are going to be pretty intense in the center of town. Great fun (free trade!..lot's of festivities and music), but taxis and public transportation will be dead / impossible on the 26th, the city will be like a can of sardines full of people. Don't travel to and from A'dam on the 26th if you can help it. Don´t intend to meet people on appointed places, likely you will never get there on time even on foot.

Ill be there too.

Parks are nice, however difficult to enjoy if there are many people.

What is usually done for the meetups? I'm guessing a place could be rented, but thats expensive. All of the donations going away. Not good.

I found conference rooms for ~500euro an afternoon (50 people). That doesnt include meals.

• 1 month later...

This message is also posted on the facebook event "April 2014 Freedomain Radio Amsterdam Meetup"

Guys. There seems to be no meetup plan. Stef is only available for meeting up on the 26th, and he is staying in the center of Amsterdam near the Dam.

Here is my plan, I have come up with two options and we'll need to decide soon in my opinion:

• We could casually meet at 10:00 am on the 26th in "Cafe de Jaren". http://www.cafedejaren.nl/nl/de-Jaren/Home.html . The place is going to get really crowded during the day, there may be no place to sit and have a relaxed conversation.
  • We rent a place for a couple of hours on the 26th. I have spoken to one place with a very nice conference-room we can make reservations for, across the street from Stef's Hotel. They will have to open up for us, because all these places are closed on kings day. It's going to cost somewhere near 800 Euro to rent this place from say 14:00 to 17:00.  If enough people are committed to going there and pay their share, I might be willing to make a reservation. Contact me if you're up for paying the divided cost and I'll decide in a day or two if it's a viable option in my opinion. If I get twenty solid commitments we're up to +/- 40 euro PP( excluding drinks etc)  and we'll have a topnotch place to meet Stef. ( Assuming he'll be willing to skip some of the festivities and meet up with us that is :) 

If you're up for either of these plans please let me know by PM. Whatever comes out, I hope to meet you all on the 26th.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.