what words do you refuse to use?

dsayers

An example would be that the word "anarchy" invokes in most a sense of chaos and prevalent predation.

I don't like labels in general, but I particularly dislike anarchist and atheist. For one, they sum up a person based on ONE thing they do NOT accept. Secondly, it frames the conversation as if theism and predation are the norm and rejection of the same is a deviation.

I don't use the word "believe." I accept that reality does not bend to my will and that 2+2=4 is correct and 2+2=5 is false whether I believe them to be or not.

I avoid using the word "right" when "ownership" can be used. People sometimes insist on things like "the right to free speech." Yet they do this when it's being contested despite the word denoting incontestability. Those who would infringe speak as if there's such a thing as society, that human beings are fundamentally different while in proximity of others, and this leads to an alteration of what are rights should be. Speaking of it in terms of ownership makes it easier to see the immorality of forcibly limiting others to not speak in ways that are not unethical.

How much value do you place on words and their precision? Are there words you avoid as a result of the well being poisoned? Thank you for your time.

"Never"  "Always"

(Although I wouldn't say I never use them...)

A very interesting question which I will probably be thinking about for the next few weeks.  I have alway... uh, for as long as I can remember, I've worked at being increasingly more precise.  Been a little bit lax in some areas, it would seem, in recent years.

I never use the word "energy". The word "energy" strikes me as just about the most vague word conceivable. It's as if people use it like they would "stuff" or "thing".

"There is a certain energy to her"

"we are, fundamentally, only made up of energy"

Or "totes", short for "totally". I don't think I'm hip to the hop enough to use words like that!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.