Can you guys take a look at my resume

aFireInside

• 5 months later...

Suggestions for improvement.

Be more specific with what you've learned and how it's relevant to the type of job that you're looking for. With your work experience, you should have three - five points or sentences about what you accomplished, what your responsibilities were and the type of clients you were handling (e.g. internal management, customer, etc.,). For your education you will have taken courses or worked on projects that could relate the job that you will expected to perform. Mention them.

The current description that you have for your work experience could use a rework (also you spelled "concoles" wrong in the description). This may be irrelevant, but in my region there's no reason to put an uppercase "T" on televisions since it's not a proper noun. "Stocking" is also spelled incorrectly. You must proof read your own work because if you come across as a poor communicator on paper then they will not give you the opportunity to show them how good you are at communicating in person.

-Sold consumer electronics such as televisions, video game consoles, cameras, and accessories.

-Upsold purchases with extended warrantees, additional peripherals, and other similar services.

-Processes consumer transactions as a cashier.

Being an eager learner isn't a skill, but it's definitely a great trait to mention. Add a section for "Professioanl profile" and talk more about your work ethic with some examples (e.g. I am an eager learner as demonstrated by teaching myself object oriented programming, etc., etc.,).

Mention how you work in a team, whether you lead, you support, you are creative, etc., give them an idea of whom they are hiring.

I would remove the "What can I do for you?" section and put in more about your skills and abilities. For example you say that you have a passion for mobile app development, but nothing on your resume currently supports that. Tell them what you're learning for mobile app developement (languages, suites, packages, etc.,)

These are my suggestions. I hope that they help!

I don't want to be a jerk, but I think your resume is not very good and lacking.  Let me give you some suggestions and I will attach my resume to try to give you an idea of what a better resume is.  I am not an expert, but I have been told during many interviews that I have an impressive resume.

-First of all I like how simple your resume is, but it is short.  Many people advise you to keep it to one page.  This is an old wise tale if you have enough important skills or experiences definitely go over the 1 page limit.  My friend has a 4 page resume because of all he volunteering and programming and he gets interviews like crazy.

Second of all change experience to work experience.  Future employers care more about employment then what you have personally researched.  If you have learned skills outside of school try to label it under skills or self employment

Make everything sound as professional as you can.  I sold things is not profession language.  Instead say something like I used my customer service skills to help customers find the correct electronics for their needs.  Bullet pointing your different jobs.

Put education at the bottom of your resume.  Employers will look to see that you have a degree, but they really don't care about it.  They care mostly about skills, and experience.

Move skills to under experience.  Take out eager learner that is information you should include in your cover letter.  Skills should be tangible value you can bring to a company.  For skills add in any other computer skills no matter how basic to make yourself look better.  You can't assume that a future employer will think you can use microsoft office just because you can program.

Add microsoft office to your skills, computer repair/building skills if you know that, etc.

Take out retail experience from skills it is redundant and pointless if you are trying to get a computer job.  If you are applying for retail again stocking and cashiering is important other wise get rid of it.

Add any skill in the what I can do for you into skills and delete what I can do for you.  Your cover letter is where you are suppose to sell yourself and tell and employer what you can do for them.  Ever company is different anyway and your skills may help each one in a different way.  Make sure to research where you apply to and make a specific example about where your skills can specifically help their company in your cover letter. 

You don't have to but I like to add my references at the end of my resume it makes it easier for the employer instead of looking through multiple files for all your information.

Add your personal webpages link by your personally information up top to show your web design skills if you have any

Finally add as many skills as you can it looks a bit bare.  Remember you learned a lot of skills in class make sure to talk about them.  Also if you have ever had any other job add it.  Add a volunteering section to show you have more practical experience, or important organizations you are apart of.

I will also attach one of my better cover letters with my resume, so you can try to get a good idea of what will increase your chances of getting an interview.

Some final advise get a linkedin account.  I have had a couple phone interviews from companies looking for tech skills.  This may help you find a job faster.

I tried to add my resume as an attachment but I can not find the button to add a file.  I think I may not be able to add anything if I am a commenter.  So formatting will be kind of odd, but I think you can get the idea.  If you want I will e-mail it to you.

Edit: I just realized I had a lot of very personal information about myself and people I have worked with that I posted.  I am no longer comfortable having this information here because of recent events.  If you would still like a copy of my resume/cover letter to help you out you can email me at [email protected] and I will be happy to give you a copy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.