Where the Wild Things are, A story of child abuse (book analysis)

aFireInside

Hey man I enjoyed this and always had a niggly feeling about this story and why it might be so popular. I think you are onto something. When you were analysing the phrase "I love you too" I found myself wanting to hear the word "attention" as in he was seeking attention from his parents; notably, the parents are not shown and he had to create them as furry monsters in his imagination. Similarly, In Toy Story the parents do not feature, and I see themes of child abuse in that film too.

As for the delivery I like how you started with your assertion and said 'if you are interested then keep watching' or words to that effect; that got my attention. Perhaps open some loops like "I will show you in a moment why I think the Monsters are the Parents" and then close the loop a minute later and show the picture on the wall because that was really interesting (I saw the picture at the start but didn't know what to make of it). Hope this helps. Also perhaps the role play as a wolf is not just innocent child's play; perhaps the wolf play-acting is a result of acting out because of other abuse.Cheers, Mike.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.