Standing up to a bully parent

I've listened to the first 40 minutes of Stefan's phone call with a nervous guy talking about how the guy's father really bullies him.

Wow, let me talk to that guy.  I'm over 50 now and my father was exactly like that.  What did I do 30 years ago? Stefan advises the guy to answer the parent with the same amount of malice and profanity as the parent dishes out.  To talk back.  To stand up against the bully and throw it right back in his face.

It's like the advice about what to do if a shark attacks you underwater.  If the shark continues attacking just beat the shark on the head with your stump.

Stefan, if you read this, please note :  The young man's situation contains a certain amount of "fear".  My father was a

very muscular and choleric man who towered over me like King Kong with a tantrum.

When I was 22 he said he was proud of me for completing college and gave me 20$, then said I shouldn't go to Europe, instead look for work around home.  Did I stand up and throw the money in his face and tell him where to stick it?  Did I tell him "I don't give a **** what you think, I'm flying to Europe"?  Or did I beat him with my stump of self-confidence?

No. I said "Yes, Dad".  And four months later I was flying to Europe, never to return.

Please, Stefan, understand that the first caller in FDR 2588 Jan 16 is 'scared' of his father.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.