pain in the legs when observing other peoples pain

giancoli

Just a very quick observation. When I for example watch videos on youtube off people getting hurt I get this tingling pain in my legs. Is this normal?

It's just physical pain I think not emotional pain. Is this a universal phenomena, empathy being expressed as physical pain in the legs?

Take it easy mate, you seem able to differentiate between that pain have a relation with the other in the screen and a certainty like ''I feel the others pain''. We are able to simulate (in sense like when you play a flight simulator game and it seem if you're in the cockpit) the internal states of the others, and this isn't the so called empathy, empathy it's like pretend read the mind of another human being, only computers can do that. Our mirror neurons make us able to simulate the internal states of others, nothing more and nothing less. There is no ''wifi'' between us... I hope the CIA and NSA can't ever violate the privacy inside of our skulls.

So like the song says ''don't worry, be happy'' you're still a human being  ;)

Héctor

Forgive me if this is more appropriate for WTMI radio (way too much information), but most of the time I have a mirror neuron episode, it is my testicles creeping up into me. The one exception I've noticed is falling in a video game. The really long fall, like from mountains, planes, or tall buildings. If those "experiences" get drawn out, I feel a mild panic and can even stop breathing for a moment, as if I'm trying to control not popping my lungs from falling.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.