Is it possible for you subconscious mind to take over your conscious mind?

Jami

I believe I have experienced this. I would like to know first the opinion of everybody and anybody out there. What do you all think of this?

I only ask this to you all because now I see the truth everywhere. My life will never be what it was before today.

In seven days I have overcome addiction, god, my family. I have gained love and empathy for myself and others. Has anyone had this happen?

Ooh, I'm really intrigued. What was it like? Would you like to share your experience?

I don't think anything like this has happened to me, except maybe to some extent in dreams. What's been happening with me the last few weeks is that parts of my subconscious that have been repressed are surfacing, and I'm able to remember, analyze, and understand them with my conscious mind. I now have a lot more clarity over some issues than I did before, but I sense this is only the beginning. Also when I get a feeling of some kind, rather than repressing it I acknowledge it and think about it. But I'm not sure this is what you had in mind, so please feel free to share :)

I have such empathy for you. I was in the chat room earlier today. Deerbearbeer. That was me. I was in shattered in to pieces. The past week has felt like one second. I didn't leave it because of anything you all said. But because I had to leave my old self behind. The part of me that has always looked to other people on how to be. One day I will be able to share this story with all of you. I just want to know how you all are doing and where you are at with this experience.

Ooh, I'm really intrigued. What was it like? Would you like to share your experience?

I don't think anything like this has happened to me, except maybe to some extent in dreams. What's been happening with me the last few weeks is that parts of my subconscious that have been repressed are surfacing, and I'm able to remember, analyze, and understand them with my conscious mind. I now have a lot more clarity over some issues than I did before, but I sense this is only the beginning. Also when I get a feeling of some kind, rather than repressing it I acknowledge it and think about it. But I'm not sure this is what you had in mind, so please feel free to share :)

It is happening to you.Keep pushing. You can be the person you've always wanted to be. We are all born to seek the truth. We are the truth.

Before my parents divorced (I was 3-4 years old), I had a couple solid years of being nurtured. As a result, the decades of abuse (parents, teachers, priests, government) afterwards felt odd to me. I used to categorize this as "life telling me I don't belong here." Once I learned about self-ownership, propaganda, subjugation, etc everything just seemed clear to me.

It's actually kind of saddening because I can see so many things that so many others cannot despite it being "obvious." Including my former self. That takes tons of effort to break the wills of other people and that's sad. But I'm happy understanding more about myself and finally having the power to break the cycle of violence. It used to be I hurt people close to me. It's not what I wanted and I couldn't figure out how to stop it. It led to me becoming very isolated as to not hurt others.

Before my parents divorced (I was 3-4 years old), I had a couple solid years of being nurtured. As a result, the decades of abuse (parents, teachers, priests, government) afterwards felt odd to me. I used to categorize this as "life telling me I don't belong here." Once I learned about self-ownership, propaganda, subjugation, etc everything just seemed clear to me.

It's actually kind of saddening because I can see so many things that so many others cannot despite it being "obvious." Including my former self. That takes tons of effort to break the wills of other people and that's sad. But I'm happy understanding more about myself and finally having the power to break the cycle of violence. It used to be I hurt people close to me. It's not what I wanted and I couldn't figure out how to stop it. It led to me becoming very isolated as to not hurt others.

Wow I responded to that wrong the first time. You have my utmost sympathy for what you've gone through. I feel the need to share with you one concept. If you feel the need to break the wills of people you mustn't. It's a big red flag that you are still very new to this. Do this instead when you feel the need to break down other peoples walls. Breathe deeply. Write it down. The best course of action is no action.

This has helped me tremendously. Keep finding the truth in everything. It's such a feeling of terror and happiness. But at the end of this road when you are who you were born to be. People will break their own walls and you won't feel the need you have to or should have to break their walls.

do you understand? Wow I am in no state to be giving advice. I have so much to do. Time to give stef a listen. Holy moley! Okay.

Thanks for asking. It's been a little over a year since I encountered the concept of self-ownership, which led me down the path of studying philosophy and pursuing self-knowledge. I've heard people like Larken Rose and Stef talk about how these concepts were a struggle for them. For me, no, it has not been difficult at all to stay on this path. For two reasons.

The first being the "I don't belong in this world" feeling I've had for over two decades. Back then, I felt like the reject. Now I realize it was that I was damaged and that being repaired is preferable than being damaged, even in a world of mostly damaged people. The second reason is because I was an abusive boyfriend. Not physically, though I did once put a hole in the wall to avoid assaulting the person who I was blaming for my rage in the moment. Anyways, I had a few girlfriends (including a couple that lived with me) just take off to escape me. Back then, I didn't know why, but I kept it in mind and tried to stop it. I was powerless to stop it and as a result, I had hurt a number of people I cared about.

It left me feeling desperate. It was clear that it was my fault. I was aware of it and that I didn't want to do it, yet it seemed I was powerless to stop it. Now I understand why it was happening, where it came from, how to prevent it even in my thoughts, and so on. I'm about to turn 38 and I feel like having a life and happiness are options for me for the first time. After 36 years of misery and suffering, I find nothing hard about staying on the path at all. It's been a real treat meeting me and getting to know me. It's wonderful that the well-intentioned, gentle person that I am can finally come out and play with others without "demons" on my back weighing me down and altering my actions in a way I don't want.

I hope this is helpful to you.

I have such empathy for you. I was in the chat room earlier today. Deerbearbeer. That was me. I was in shattered in to pieces. The past week has felt like one second. I didn't leave it because of anything you all said. But because I had to leave my old self behind. The part of me that has always looked to other people on how to be. One day I will be able to share this story with all of you. I just want to know how you all are doing and where you are at with this experience.

It is happening to you.Keep pushing. You can be the person you've always wanted to be. We are all born to seek the truth. We are the truth.

Oh - that was you! I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to go through all that in just one week. I'm glad it wasn't something I said. If you do ever want to talk, the folks here are super-empathetic (and I try too :happy: ).

Thanks for being supportive despite everything you're going through. You're really an amazing person!

The way that I understand the distinction between the unconscious mind and the conscious mind is whether or not the brain activity reaches a certain threshold of activity. If you think of the activity of the brain as a 3D map where X and Y are the area of the brain processing the stimulus and the Z axis is the amount of activity going on in that region, you can imagine mountains spiking up in the landscape.

An alarm clock spikes the region of your brain that responds to sound.

This is how you can be both conscious and unconscious of things. Breathing is an obvious example.

Also how we can be only partly conscious of something, like that word I'm trying to think of that has "ger" in it, I think. Only the tippy top of the mountain is tall enough to break those clouds.

How consciousness works is still largely a mystery (and hotly debated). Baroness Susan Greenfield is a neuroscientist who has a lot of very interesting stuff to say about consciousness. This video was very informative for me.

The idea that the unconscious mind has like 3000x the processing power as the conscious mind is true because almost none of the activity in our brains reaches the threshold for it to be conscious (the mountain isn't tall enough).

In this way, for something to be unconscious it simply needs to produce less activity in the brain or to be dwarfed by something much more active.

I believe that the amygdala and hippocampus can produce chemicals that very easily overwhelm the frontal cortices and so in that way, if something were to be suppressed with the aid of fight or flight responses, that could explained repression, psychological splitting and things like that.

I'm also a no-nothing when it comes to neuroscience. If an actual neuroscientist were to read this, they would probably take issue with it.

Posted Image

I believe I have experienced this. I would like to know first the opinion of everybody and anybody out there. What do you all think of this?

I only ask this to you all because now I see the truth everywhere. My life will never be what it was before today.

In seven days I have overcome addiction, god, my family. I have gained love and empathy for myself and others. Has anyone had this happen?

Jami, welcome!

I had goosebumps reading what you wrote because i went through a similar experience.  It happened very fast within a week or less my whole life changed. I cant even watch tv now without analyzing what a characters past must have been like.  They are not even real people!  Its like Stef helped me uncover new pathways within by brain that have been hidden for years due to abuse and neglect in childhood.  Once they are uncovered there is no going back.  Its hard to take in...its hard when you finally start to look at people around you and see the poison that they have been spiting at you for years.  Just finally being able to see evil for what it is was a huge sigh of relief for me tho.  Now that i can see the evil, lies, and inconsistencies I can make more rational and logical choices.

I really don't understand how the fundaments of a pseudoscience such the psychoanalysis take place here.

How do you determine what's a pseudoscience?

The common reason given for why psychology (and psychoanalysis in particular) shouldn't be considered science is because the subject matter is subjective. My dreams for example are a subjective experience of mine that AFAIK can't be recorded and reviewed by a psychologist.

Technically speaking psychoanalysis isn't a field of science. It's collection of theories on how to diagnose and treat mental functions and behaviors deemed unhealthy according to a standard of mental health. The standard of mental health differs between different schools of psychoanalysis and between individual psychoanalysts, but there are some generally accepted tenets that nearly every psychoanalyst accepts:

• besides the inherited constitution of personality, a person's development is determined by events in early childhood;
  • human attitude, mannerism, experience, and thought is largely influenced by irrational drives;
  • irrational drives are unconscious;
  • attempts to bring these drives into awareness meet psychological resistance in the form of defense mechanisms;
  • conflicts between conscious and unconscious, or repressed, material can materialise in the form of mental or emotional disturbances, for example: neurosis, neurotic traits, anxiety, depression etc.;
  • the liberation from the effects of the unconscious material is achieved through bringing this material into the conscious mind (via e.g. skilled guidance, i.e. therapeutic intervention).

The fact that something is subjective doesn't mean that you can't have a science studying it.

Economics is another example. There is no objective value scale of goods, and yet economics has a whole hell of a lot to say about the exchange of these goods. In the same sense, psychology has a lot to say about our minds, our subjective experience of consciousness, dreams, behavior patterns etc.

If psychoanalysis were not based in science, it would have no predictive quality. You couldn't observe someone repeating an unhealthy pattern of behavior, look at the characteristics of that behavior and limit the possible origins and treatments accordingly. But psychologists do, and are successful doing so.

Here's a couple interviews discussing the science behind talk therapy and how success is measured:

1524 – 'Mapping the Effects of Talk Therapy on the Brain' - Dr Gabriel Dichter - The Freedomain Radio Interview

http://cdn.media.freedomainradio.com/feed/FDR_1524_mapping_therapy_dr_dichter_interview.mp3

1517 – The Benefits of Therapy - An Interview with Chris Boyce, University of Warwick

http://cdn.media.freedomainradio.com/feed/FDR_1517_interview_chris_boyce_32_x_happiness.mp3

The effects of divorce and religion on the human mind are pretty big. Just do a little googling and you'd be surprised what you'll find.

Thanks for asking. It's been a little over a year since I encountered the concept of self-ownership, which led me down the path of studying philosophy and pursuing self-knowledge. I've heard people like Larken Rose and Stef talk about how these concepts were a struggle for them. For me, no, it has not been difficult at all to stay on this path. For two reasons.

The first being the "I don't belong in this world" feeling I've had for over two decades. Back then, I felt like the reject. Now I realize it was that I was damaged and that being repaired is preferable than being damaged, even in a world of mostly damaged people. The second reason is because I was an abusive boyfriend. Not physically, though I did once put a hole in the wall to avoid assaulting the person who I was blaming for my rage in the moment. Anyways, I had a few girlfriends (including a couple that lived with me) just take off to escape me. Back then, I didn't know why, but I kept it in mind and tried to stop it. I was powerless to stop it and as a result, I had hurt a number of people I cared about.

It left me feeling desperate. It was clear that it was my fault. I was aware of it and that I didn't want to do it, yet it seemed I was powerless to stop it. Now I understand why it was happening, where it came from, how to prevent it even in my thoughts, and so on. I'm about to turn 38 and I feel like having a life and happiness are options for me for the first time. After 36 years of misery and suffering, I find nothing hard about staying on the path at all. It's been a real treat meeting me and getting to know me. It's wonderful that the well-intentioned, gentle person that I am can finally come out and play with others without "demons" on my back weighing me down and altering my actions in a way I don't want.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Whoa, that was very comforting. Thank you for sharing!

Oh - that was you! I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to go through all that in just one week. I'm glad it wasn't something I said. If you do ever want to talk, the folks here are super-empathetic (and I try too :happy: ).

Thanks for being supportive despite everything you're going through. You're really an amazing person!

Thank you. It is an unimaginable. I still am working on this. I appreciate your thoughts on this subject.

Jami, welcome!

I had goosebumps reading what you wrote because i went through a similar experience.  It happened very fast within a week or less my whole life changed. I cant even watch tv now without analyzing what a characters past must have been like.  They are not even real people!  Its like Stef helped me uncover new pathways within by brain that have been hidden for years due to abuse and neglect in childhood.  Once they are uncovered there is no going back.  Its hard to take in...its hard when you finally start to look at people around you and see the poison that they have been spiting at you for years.  Just finally being able to see evil for what it is was a huge sigh of relief for me tho.  Now that i can see the evil, lies, and inconsistencies I can make more rational and logical choices.

Yes, This is where I would say a curse word followed by the word yeah. I like your words. Thank you,

''Talking cure'' is an expression used by one of Freud's patients, indeed there is no psychotherapy without the use of dialogue. But from there to say that psychoanalysis is the same as psychology, is analogous to affirm that theology is the same as philosophy.

Psychoanalysis can't be falseable, that is why give the illusion of be able to predictions, if fails... well it was a ''negation''. It's the same structure that have religions and delusions.

Psychology ≠ Psychoanalysis

Héctor

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.