Interview advice.

jester7707

Hi everyone,

Thanks for stopping in and taking the time to read.

I'm currently trying to get into the food industry preferably as a cook. I had an employer call me about my resume I uploaded online. She asked me if I had any experience in cooking with Mediterranean food. I have on my application that I worked in fast food places but, nothing on it about working with this type of food. I told her that honestly I have''t really besides watching my father cook Greek dish's here and there. She then told me that she would like to have me come in tomorrow for an interview.

On one hand she obviously see's possible potential in me but, on the other I am trying to think of how I could present myself as a valuable worker with this obvious lack of experience. I was thinking of pointing out that I am a fast learner and the variety of task I did at previous restaurants supports that. I mean, My title at this previous job is something like this : Cook, Busser, Trainer, Cashier, Inventory Management, Catering, Prep Staff.

Other than that I'm drawing blanks on what I could say. Any ideas on how I could go about this?

Thank's again.

Hi Jester!

I'm no expert, but I did a lot of interviewing a few years back. I think that in positions where you might not have exactly the right experience, your inclination to focus on more well rounded skills like being a fast learner is totally the right thing to do. The fact that you did so many different things at the previous job says a lot about you in terms of flexibility and being able to pick up valuable skills. It certainly impresses me.

I'm sorry I don't have much feedback, but I can point you to the FDR content that I found really helpful in my interviews:

536 – Job Interviewing

http://cdn.media.freedomainradio.com/feed/FDR_536_Job_Interviewing.mp3

1042 – Job Interview Skills Part 2

http://cdn.media.freedomainradio.com/feed/FDR_1042_Job_Interview_Part_Two_Convo.mp3

1471 – Preparing for a Job Interview

http://cdn.media.freedomainradio.com/feed/FDR_1471_job_interview_preparation.mp3

Good luck!

Be aware of your value and the value that you will bring to job. Most importantly write it down. A lot of us have issues with taking the positive aspects that we have and seeing it as something that others will want, and it really helps to objectively identify what is good about us and to recognize it as a virtue that other people want. Don't be wishy-washy about it.

Think about your past jobs and what kind of value you brought to your coworkers, bosses, and the company. It doesn't really need to be connected with what you'll be doing. Like if you are friendly, that really doesn't have anything to do with cooking, but it has a lot to do with being a good employee.

In thinking about my current job at a coffee shop, the values I bring to it are:

Reliability

Friendliness

Honesty

Resolving conflicts before they occur

Not gossiping or talking bad about others

Not complaining unnecessarily

Getting along with everyone, even those I don't like

Being extremely easy to manage

Doing my job as instructed

Never standing around doing nothing

I feel quite good about the value I bring to this coffee shop, and a lot of my coworkers have explicitly stated that they are always glad when I am working.

Another thing about value is I would approach adding greek foods to your arsenal as if you're enthusiastic about it because it's building YOUR value. The fact that it will benefit them also is secondary since if you're pursuing it for yourself, you'll do better for them than somebody that's just trying to satisfy them for a bit of coin.

You're interviewing them too, so don't be afraid to ask questions pertaining to how you will know if you're providing value to them, what kind of people would you be working with, etc. Again, even if you're not a grand master world class chef, you'll be worth more to them as a team player that's looking at the big picture than the grand master whose just keeping busy for a couple weeks. I hope that makes sense.

Thank you all for the advice. I really appreciate it and it is very helpful.

I was interviewed today but, it was a very odd interview. I walked in and explained why I was there and the hiring manager said hi and asked me to be seated as usual. She was an elderly woman that immediately gave off the impression of a friendly grandmother type. I felt less nervous around her and sensed she was nervous as well. In fact the interview started with her saying that she isn't used to giving interviews with a nervous chuckle. I explained that I was nervous as well.

The questions lasted literately 5 to 10 minutes tops. She asked about my experience in restaurants, If I wanted to work full time/part time, If I was planning on staying with them awhile or a sort time, and told me of the history of the restaurant. Most of the time she seemed almost saddened while she explained everything like most of the workers there have been with her for years at a time, some even 15 years. She continued on saying 2 cooks recently stopped working there. One because a family member passed on and the other she didn't go into detail. On top of that she was having trouble hiring another cook. I guess a recently hired person before me stopped showing up for work and she said she even thought I wasn't going not show up.

She came off at this point as slightly desperate to get kitchen help. She even said to me that they are looking for a person to lead the kitchen at night and that I could very well do that once I learn the operation there. I explained to her that I wouldn't be able to start until the 5th of next month because I am in the middle of moving. That wasn't entirely truthful. The real reason is that My truck has a starter that needs replaced and I wont have the funds until the beginning of next month.Sometimes it starts and others it doesn't.  That seemed to be a bad reason to give in the moment so I didn't.

She said that they really need help before then. As soon as Monday. I replied that I'll try my very best to get in everyday that they need me but, I don't want to give a definitive answer and then not be able to show up. I said on and after the 5th I'll be there everyday that they need me no problem at all but, before then I just can't guarantee it unfortunately. She seemed ok with that and showed me around and introduced me to the staff. After that we parted ways. Total time there was about 15 minutes.

What do you guys take from this? I'm a little leery on one hand but, the other I think it has good potential to be a wonderful opportunity for me.

Thanks again.

Yes, she is definitely desperate and that's reason enough to be leery. There are advantages and disadvantages to this.

She continued on saying 2 cooks recently stopped working there. One because a family member passed on and the other she didn't go into detail. On top of that she was having trouble hiring another cook. I guess a recently hired person before me stopped showing up for work and she said she even thought I wasn't going not show up.

This is a bit of a red flag. Did you feel uncomfortable asking for more information about the second person? It's not nosy: You have a right to politely ask questions. It's about understanding what's going on to make sure it's a beneficial relationship for both of you. I get the sense that a lot of work is going to be put on your shoulders if you get this job without proper compensation and maybe that's why people aren't staying.

Even if she gets someone to start before you can, there's a good chance he or she will quit by the time you are ready so don't feel too pressured, unless of course your next meal or rent payment is dependent on this particular job.

Your reason for not starting immediately was professional but she sounds desperate enough to possibly offer an advance or complimentary pay for your truck starter to get you there ASAP. If you really want this job, you can be honest and tell her you decided to take the job (that you're really excited about it etc) but this expense suddenly came up. Would you be comfortable telling her that?

I had a job that paid for my driving lessons because they were desperate in a way: In my experience desperate employers who aren't good at planning or proactively taking care of their employees, don't act unless there's an emergency. For example, I was very underpaid and only offered a raise after I officially gave my two weeks notice. This is not an ideal situation but you could make use out of it...gain experience temporarily if you want.

This is a bit of a red flag. Did you feel uncomfortable asking for more information about the second person? It's not nosy: You have a right to politely ask questions. It's about understanding what's going on to make sure it's a beneficial relationship for both of you. I get the sense that a lot of work is going to be put on your shoulders if you get this job without proper compensation and maybe that's why people aren't staying.

Thank you for the reply and the very helpful advice.

I feel that I was a little rushed but, that I could have asked her in the moment. She was very unprepared for the interview and I was taken off guard by how it went.

It's funny that you say that about working for underpaying jobs as I do have a history of that happening but, I am kinda desperate to get some money rolling in and to add more recent restaurant history to my work experience. I can wait until the beginning of next month to work though. I do have another interview I plan on going to. I'm currently negotiating a date with them via E-mail.

Your reason for not starting immediately was professional but she sounds desperate enough to possibly offer an advance or complimentary pay for your truck starter to get you there ASAP. If you really want this job, you can be honest and tell her you decided to take the job (that you're really excited about it etc) but this expense suddenly came up. Would you be comfortable telling her that?

I'm glad to hear that.

I think that's a fair question to ask her. Honestly, I am not used to asking an employer that as I never had experience doing it but, it is just a question. I don't think it is unreasonable. I mean, I could take public transit but, it takes over an hour each way, cost money that I'm very low on, and it's dangerously cold out.

If it's not to much to ask could you elaborate more on how I could go about it?

Well in my case I had more leverage since I had already been employed; my employer got a taste of what I could do. You'll probably need to negotiate something. Maybe explain your situation and offer to take public transportation for a week and if she likes your work, she could give you an advance to make the commute easier. You could even offer to draw up a contract. You can emphasize your good references and what skills you're bringing to the table. Another option is to just go ahead and do the work for a week, struggle with the commute and cold, and then after you demonstrate work excellence, make some kind of similar proposition. Perhaps a coworker could help with the commute or even a friend at least picking you up after work.

I'd be wary. Choosing who to hire is a very important decision. The more the company has to invest in training of an individual body, the more true this is. If they're putting somebody in front of you that doesn't normally do the hiring, who comes across as unprepared, this is desperate to the point of being irresponsible and potentially far most costly in the long run. Take the job if you need the money, just be aware you may be boarding an already sinking ship.

If it was me, I'd be keeping it simple. I'd start the job as planned, accepting in advance that a hidden problem might come to light, and that I might not want to stay in the job for long.

No matter how much research you do before starting the job, you can't know for sure that you've uncovered all potential downsides. So just starting the job might be the easiest way to find out for sure.

On the upside, it sounds like you might have more autonomy than you would often get in that type of position, so there's a chance it could work out really well.

Thank you all again. It's very appreciated. :)

The My first day of work came (Today) and it was -25 below zero with the wind chill and I had over an hour both ways through public transportation. I called her to see if we could negotiate something. Otherwise I felt it was to dangerous for me to go. She needed a cook right away and I needed a ride home from work as I am new to the area and am not familiar with public transportation witch I explained to her on more than one occasion.

I told her my proposition and she seemed agitated at me bringing it up and said I was supposed to have reliable transportation. I reminded her of what I said at the interview and that I was up to negotiate something out that would benefit both of us But, I couldn't risk going out in such extreme temperatures with little knowledge of the area and the public transportation system. Like I said before I offered to come to work on my own accord and just getting a ride home from someone there. She replied that this isn't going to work out and said goodbye in a hurry. 

I feel rather agitated and sad. My stomach has been hurting ever since.

I was wondering how you guys feel about this whole interaction?

That's really strange. If they're desperate, spending 15 mins to give somebody a ride after work to be able to get 8 hrs of work out of them seems like an easy temporary solution for them. I wonder how the cook on shift would feel knowing that this woman intentionally left him to be slammed over a single car ride in weather that can, and will kill people.

I'm sorry that you're made to suffer physiologically over this. For what it's worth, the fact that they didn't even provide a proper interviewer, that the person they provided wasn't prepared, and didn't have the decency to not even hang up on you, it's probably for the better that you didn't get to develop a relationship with this company.

First off, huge props to you for giving it a try. "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation" but you spoke up for yourself and gave it a whirl. It sounded like a bad job situation in any case and after all, practice makes perfect. I'm so sorry you felt agitated and sad afterwards but don't be hard on yourself: I'm sure you weighed the pros and cons of the risk.

As dsayers noted, her response was less than humane. She is not empathetic yet she expected you to be empathetic to her in that strange and brief interview.

By the way, that temperature...-25 below zero is far lower than anything I've ever had to deal with. That adds a new level of understanding to this too.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for shareing your wisdom and kind words of encouragment Adrienne. That was also very helpful and allowed me to see it from a different perspective.  I apologize for not saying this sooner.

I did learn from it and was also humbled by the expierence. I realized that I have allot of work to do with myself and my instincts.

That's a tough situation. Those are emergency weather conditions. The people of Moscow or Helsinki would consider that to be Freaking Cold, officially.

I has a job like that a few years ago. I commuted 40 miles each way. I'd been there less than a month when TWO hurricanes hit our area. There was no power to our house for 3 weeks, and spotty power in the commercial areas for over 1 week. No power = no gas stations = no commute.

I left my family on Day 2 after the storms to drive to work, out of loyalty and committment. On Day 3 I called my new boss and said there's no gas for me to get to work, and even if I barely made it there, there's no gas to buy near the office to get me back home.

He was furious. It was completely irrational. Even the police and fire and hospitals all had tremendous difficulty doing their work because there wasn't enough gas for their cars and generators. Even the POWER COMPANY had trouble getting enough gasoline for all the trucks they needed to send crews out to fix the power to turn on the gas stations. A real Catch-22!

My point is that some employers are just bad managers. I have no idea if you could have handled the conversation with her any better than you did, but one thing is certain -- a skilled manager would not push employees to travel when it's 25 below.

That's about as reasonable as Napoleon and/or Hitler invading Russia in the wintertime. A lot of people didn't make it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.