I lost 2 friends on FB because of this quote from Stefan.

"Faith is a synonym for Error. Just as god is a synonym for that which does not exist." -Stefan Molyneux
  • Posted Image

Amos Block Once again, a blatantly inappropriate analogy. 2+2 is demonstrably not 5. The non-existence of God is NOT a demonstrable fact (nor is the existence, but that's beside the point).
  • Posted Image

Danny Maguire However, Amos, the fact that existence is not demonstrable is the same thing as non-existance. Not being able to demonstrate the existence, demonstrates the non-existence. 

As for my analogy, it was used to convey the idea that it is possible to vocally disagree with somebodies belief system without intending to insult or degrade that person.
  • Posted Image

Amos Block No, it is not. Absence of evidence is NOT evidence of absence. That's not a matter of opinion, or rhetoric, but a simple fact. Your analogy compares a system in which one of the two opinions is measurably, demonstrably untrue. This is not the same as the question of the existence or non existence of God.
  •  
    Danny Maguire Then ignore the analogy. The point remains, it is possible to vocally disagree with somebody without intending to insult or degrade them. 

If I tell you there is a 45 ft pink unicorn in the room, but you can't touch it, hear it, taste it, feel it, see it or smell it, then it doesn't exist. The fact that there is a 100% absence of any evidence of it's existence, doesn't mean that there may still be a 45ft pink unicorn in the room. It means it doesn't exist.
  •  
    Amos Block And on and on with the obnoxious analogies, but OK, I'll ignore that one too. 

It is possible to vocally disagree with somebody without intending to insult or degrade them. I don't disagree with this, nor have I made any statements that contradict it.
    ...See More
  •  
    Danny Maguire So you agree that it is possible to "vocally disagree with somebody without intending to insult or degrade them." Then how can you confidently assert that that Molyneux is degrading or insulting other peoples faith based solely on the quote above?

The mistake we made in this analogy game is that we did not begin with agreed upon definitions.
  •  

Ill tell you something that helped me .

You can't have a discussion with someone who doesn't believe in logic.

If someone thinks the world is illogical you can't have a logical conversation with them .

Everything you say won't make sense to them , and everything they say won't make sense to you.

Its like trying to speak with someone who speaks another language. (actually worst)

Basically is you have different epistemological believes there is no reason to debate or discus anything.

EX: if he thinks the world can be understood through faith and you through logic, reason and evidence.

I agree with Ivan but I take it a bit further.

Why do you want to have a relationship with people who cannot use reason? And what kind of a relationship would it be anyway?

I just don't see how a real caring relationship can be had between a person capable of thought and one incapable of thought.

Momentum. People who were taught that proximity equals virtue as a child have a hard time understanding that they are an active participant in a relationship and therefor have influence over its path. Or they might be yielding to their discomfort in cutting somebody out of their lives because they would prefer to have their values AND the support of others. Or it could be the tail end of an attempt to encourage the person into rational thought and they are unwilling to accept that if that doesn't work, there's no common ground for anything that a friendship is made of.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.