Guys with guns, AKA 'urban planners', endorse prohibiton of autos

fractional slacker

For 70 years planners have been perusing policies that promote the automobile lifestyle.

It's sort of like how the State mandated racial discrimination, right before it prohibited it.

Towns that were built before the age of State planning (and managed to survive (in some small way) until today) are the places that people save for their whole lives to visit on vacation.

Unless you can tell me where planners have implemented prohibiting of walking, riding a bike, riding a train, or riding a buss, it appears to me the use of automobiles has been primarily market driven.

Lets see --

parking minimums -- expands the space between places.

Height restrictions --reduces density

Single-use zoning. --increases the space between the types of spaces

Large setbacks / yard requirements  -- increases the space between places

The used of eminent domain to build freeways.

http://marketurbanism.com/

is a high quality blog on the topic.

http://marketurbanism.com/2013/10/17/the-value-of-walkability/

1 point in walkability tends to add $850 dollars to the value of a home.

Unless you can tell me where planners have implemented prohibiting of walking, riding a bike, riding a train, or riding a buss, it appears to me the use of automobiles has been primarily market driven.

Planners control the location and configuration of every type of structure and business, and thus the size, type and location of all the roads between and around them. It's not a market or property-based process.Planners don't have to prohibit biking or walking. They just discourage them by putting the residences a few miles away from the businesses. And they encourage cars by the forced subsidization of car-friendly road systems.A truly market-driven urban space would most likely resemble the quaint, walkable, quasi-medieval neighborhoods that still exist in tiny remnants here and there. Cars would exist, but be far less prominent.The suburban shopping mega-mall is essentially a synthetic facsimile of the age-old walkable shopping district, with small shops lining footpaths (but with a cover on top and air conditioning added, and the above-shop apartments removed, and the whole site moved to a spot far away from people's homes, and surrounded by parking lots).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.