"I Want to Break Free" !

LovePrevails

Heya Antony!

I think it's a very well written article, but a couple of things confused me that I hope you can expand on.

1. "Use it to comfort yourself and tell it positive messages" and having a contradiction free mind seem to be in opposition. Perhaps a definition of contradiction-free would clear it up, but is it not the case that the mind perceives both the external problematic situation and the appropriate "negative" emotional response together? Does it not then follow that providing positive messages would produce a contradiction in the mind, in relation to the original "negative" response that it may be replacing, or with the situation itself?

Feeling happy about your dog getting ran over for example seems to me an example of a clear contradiction in the mind.

2. You say that the mind lacks free will (as compared to Self), but you also describe the mind in the language of free will when you say "It may doubt you at first" and "it has to eventually reconcile previous beliefs with present understanding". Perhaps again it's simply that I don't know what your definition of free will is, or that you are using this language metaphorically rather than literally.

To be able to act with reference to any kind of standard is how I would define free will. There could be a level of description that illustrates the action through a series of tropisms, but then the language would not be accurate. But at the same time, I talk about my computer as being stubborn or disobedient, so I can imagine, you are using it the same way here.

I do like your distinction and description though between Self and the mind, and the importance of sure leadership within your own first person experience.

Thanks for sharing :)

thanks for the excellent and detailed feedback Kevin, very much appreciated, I'll get back to you in further detail soon

I also agree I wasn't as clear as I could be on my definitions

I also think affirmations alone are not enough of course, and would have liked to be more clear on the point of keeping your attention focussed on the emotional trigger while doing so so you don't get fully distracted by your thoughts when you have emotional material,

I'm still optimising my own approaches and writing the article was even part of that self-work

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.