EU has secret plan for police to 'remote stop' cars

Alan C.

EU has secret plan for police to 'remote stop' cars

The European Union is secretly developing a "remote stopping" device to be fitted to all cars that would allow the police to disable vehicles at the flick of a switch from a control room.Confidential documents from a committee of senior EU police officers, who hold their meetings in secret, have set out a plan entitled "remote stopping vehicles" as part of wider law enforcement surveillance and tracking measures."The project will work on a technological solution that can be a 'build in standard' for all cars that enter the European market," said a restricted document.The devices, which could be in all new cars by the end of the decade, would be activated by a police officer working from a computer screen in a central headquarters.Once enabled the engine of a car used by a fugitive or other suspect would stop, the supply of fuel would be cut and the ignition switched off.

Forget criminals; what about bored kids?  I can only imagine the joy I would have had as a disenfranchised youth if I could have stood on the overpass of a freeway with a little homemade box that made cars suddenly stop and run into eachother at the push of a button. 

There was a DARPA speech that suggested similar things could be done already. which may have something to do with those runaway Prius stories a while ago:

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.