Brother is joining the military...

Jer

...and he didn't even tell me.

So it's my wife's brother and we're fairly close (or I thought so). I just heard from someone else that he signed up for the army and I'm aghast. Partly at the fact that I think the military is immoral and partly at the fact that he never mentioned it to me.

He's in his early 20s, I'm about 10 yrs older and I was in the military. I got out a few years back because I realized it was evil although I have only in the past couple months been introduced to anarchy and started talking about how taxation is theft.

Since I'd rate myself as the most obvious person in his life to talk to about this and he didn't I'm assuming our relationship means basically nothing to him.

I'm not crazy for skipping family dinner tonight, right?

I think he's going for a job with a clearance in which case I may get interviewed by gov types. Would it be wrong to try to get him disqualified from the job? He was physically abused by a religious authority type over an extended period and I honestly think he shouldn't join even if the military were somehow a moral entity.

Since I'd rate myself as the most obvious person in his life to talk to about this and he didn't I'm assuming our relationship means basically nothing to him.

Most obvious based on your experience? Because if he's aware that you accept that the military is evil, you'd be the last person he'd want to talk to about it.

I personally wouldn't even submit to such an interview. I don't think it would be immoral if he was disqualified by way of you divulging the truth. Obviously it would be better to make the case to him directly and for him to choose morally. I think that just submitting to such an interview would be legitimizing their immorality in a way I'm not comfortable with.

I recently had an alarm call at a "military base." It was for reserves, but it had the whole barbed wire, camo hummers, etc. I have no idea why such a place would even have a civilian alarm system. I told my boss that if we ever got a call from that location again, he'd have to send somebody else. I simply don't want their attention for any reason.

Most obvious based on your experience? Because if he's aware that you accept that the military is evil, you'd be the last person he'd want to talk to about it.

I personally wouldn't even submit to such an interview. I don't think it would be immoral if he was disqualified by way of you divulging the truth. Obviously it would be better to make the case to him directly and for him to choose morally. I think that just submitting to such an interview would be legitimizing their immorality in a way I'm not comfortable with.

Yeah, I think he might dislike a lot of the same things I disliked about it. He's in touch with a recruiter who obviously is going to suggest joining the military. It's common sense to consider what you might not like about the career with an 8 year commitment and to expect the recruiter to not talk about those things.

Yes again I agree WRT interview, only reason I'd do it is to keep him from getting the job. I'd agree with you about approaching him directly and maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it seems clear to me he doesn't want to talk about it. I'm assuming from this lack of communication that he desires none. If ever I had advice to offer, this would probably be it. He knows that and he choose to keep me out of the decision process. He's already "sworn in" so I think there's supposed to be no turning back now.

I think that's a fair interpretation. Until you actually talk to him, you can't know for sure. It's inconsistent to not talk to somebody you fault for not talking to you. Plus, if what we're talking about is morality, I'd say don't give him the luxury of ignoring the truth. If you present the case to him and he rejects it, he will still be responsible from that moment forth. That responsibility may change his mind later on even if it doesn't in the moment. If you would consider submitting to an interview for the purpose of disqualifying him, I think it's worth talking to him directly for the same purpose.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.