Ayn Rand's Theory of Rights: The Moral Foundation of a Free Society

cab21

http://www.theobjectivestandard.com/issues/2011-fall/ayn-rand-theory-rights.asp

it would be interesting to hear thoughts on this article and it's logic.

"Whereas the principle of egoism is the recognition of the fact that each person should act to promote his life and is the proper beneficiary of his own life-serving actions, the principle of rights is the recognition of the fact that in order for a person to uphold the principle of egoism, he must be free to act on his judgment. The former principle gives rise to the latter."

this is part of the article near it's conclusion

I find it strange that somebody using that many footnotes can make the fundamental mistake he did. When he got to natural moral law, he simply renamed it to supernatural law just because a few people that talked about it spoke as if there was a deity. But I can't make a mountain into a Toyota just by calling it one. Just as I cannot turn natural law into supernatural law by saying "God."

I find it strange that somebody using that many footnotes can make the fundamental mistake he did. When he got to natural moral law, he simply renamed it to supernatural law just because a few people that talked about it spoke as if there was a deity. But I can't make a mountain into a Toyota just by calling it one. Just as I cannot turn natural law into supernatural law by saying "God."

what is the true representation of natural law?

so i think by  this one would have to look at the history of natural law, and find rational for a secular natural law rather than natural law from a creator?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.