100+ Residents Ticketed For Failing To Shovel Snow

Alan C.

More Than 100 Lynn Residents Ticketed For Failing To Shovel

Under the ordinance, businesses have three hours and homeowners have 10 hours to clear sidewalks after the snow stops.

Lynn's Chief Building Inspector Roger Ennis tells WBZ NewsRadio 1030, more than 100 tickets have been mailed to forgetful residents following sidewalk inspections last week.

“The initial offense is $50 and repeat offenders can go up to a $100 fine,” Ennis told WBZ.

But Ennis says they're not trying to make any money and the city is flexible.

“If it's a first time and someone calls up and there's an excuse, we can reduce the ticket from a fine to a warning,” he said. “We're not looking to collect the fines, just looking to make the city safe.”

The State employs people to "inspect" and issue fines, but they can't be bothered to help clear snow.

Have you heard about people keeping "dibs" on chicago parking spots?  They have been marking the spots with signs, cones, lawn chairs, even leaving someone to guard it.   People have been fighting to keep street parking spots they've shoveled out from getting taken by another car. 

Walking in deep snow can be easier than walking on a shoveled surface.  Up to a point, obviously.  Not if the snow is up to your knees.  But unless you make sure there's no slush and ice a simple shoveling could be slippery.  That's why I make sure to keep a propane heater blasting away at my sidewalk at all times during a snowfall. It's important that my mail gets thrown out properly, by ME, and if the postman can't get to the box safely the mail will just block up the works and explode.  Nobody wants that.

My question is what is wrong with the people who pay these fines? At what point do people begin to stand up for themselves and practice a little civil disobedience?

Typically unpaid fines would become a lien on the real estate and the government gets the money when you sell real estate because the government administrates real estate sales. And if fines are high enough they sieze real estate and auction it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.