Getting callers to the damn point....

weeb

After suffering through the first caller of the "Descended From  Extraterrestrials ?", something must be done about questions.  Perhaps, the caller should have their questions scripted out in 125 characters or less, and their call begins by Stefan reading their question at the start of the call.  Geeesh, these folks can't get to the point!  We should know within 15 seconds, what the caller wants.  This would most definitely speed up things and force callers to think about what they want ahead of time.  This is irritating because i would like to call in too, but people who don' t even know what to ask are filling the schedule to go "uh" and "um" and "i don't know"s.

I was just sensing stefan's frustration with him not getting to a question, after three attempts to solicit one.  This occurs a lot.  Having a scripted question would help everyone.  I understand people are nervous and if you know that about yourself, write your question down and read it. 

I've always thought that if I called in, I would write down in advance what I wanted to say. Hell, I wrote down the points I wanted to cover with the mechanics today when I went to get some preventative work done to the car. It's a form of visualization and it helps to unburden the mind. A couple months ago, before I learned to appreciate the value of visualization, I would not have done this.

I can sympathize with weeb's sentiment (haven't heard the show in question, but I know what he's talking about), but I can also empathize with those calling in. What some people have to talk about is very difficult for them. Knowing that it will be published certainly makes it that much harder.

If I could offer some constructive criticism to would be callers, it would be to ask the question. Stef is good at asking questions and will solicit any necessary backstory or side details.

i apologize that my post is a bit insensitive towards the callers that do this.  I applaud any and every caller for their courage, no question there.  However, Stef goes to great lengths to research and prepare for what he puts on the air, so the least we could do is have a single, thought-out, conherent question to ask when he says "go".  Maybe even, a pre-show questionnaire could help the caller be ready to answer some of Stef's usual questions. 

I was listening to one show linked from another thread and at first I felt irritated at the caller for being so reluctant to say anything, to beat around the bush. At some point I was seeing really hateful things come up in me, casting the caller as pathetic, weak, unassertive, etc. It shocked me and I used it as a chance to examine this in me, because I hadn't realized it was there to that extent. I also gave the caller a second chance in my mind and saw how this was due to the very things they were talking about from their childhood. It was a valuable opportunity to notice some unexamined abusive pattern repeating in myself

Calling into any radiointernet show most often reveals the large disparity of communication skill between host and caller.  You are an amateur putting yourself up against the grand master champion of communication, thinking on your feet and public speaking.  You're like a student guitarist getting up on stage to do a guitar duel with Joe Satriani or an American Idol contestant singing a duet with Freddie Mercury.  Not that it's a competition, but the fact is you are outmatched.  Even some of the other "pro" figures have trouble keeping up with Stefan.  So it would behoove one to be extra heavy duty prepared before calling.  Not that it should be a mandatory thing, but this disparity should be taken into account.  Personally I've been humbled by both Harry Browne and Free Talk Live; the limelight shines on you for a few brief moments and you are found wanting. Not recommended for folks who didn't lay down the pwnage in debate club in my opinion.

Guest Exceptionalist

Calling into any radiointernet show most often reveals the large disparity of communication skill between host and caller.  You are an amateur putting yourself up against the grand master champion of communication, thinking on your feet and public speaking.  You're like a student guitarist getting up on stage to do a guitar duel with Joe Satriani or an American Idol contestant singing a duet with Freddie Mercury.  Not that it's a competition, but the fact is you are outmatched.  Even some of the other "pro" figures have trouble keeping up with Stefan.  So it would behoove one to be extra heavy duty prepared before calling.  Not that it should be a mandatory thing, but this disparity should be taken into account.  Personally I've been humbled by both Harry Browne and Free Talk Live; the limelight shines on you for a few brief moments and you are found wanting. Not recommended for folks who didn't lay down the pwnage in debate club in my opinion.

He was only on the 4th place in a nation wide debating contest AFAIK. That is the 3rd best looser of the contest. I assume place No. 1 was Peter Joseph and place No. 2 Joe Rogan. :laugh: That means he is a badass communicater, which is a challenge to rearange your thoughts and don't get side-tracked. Therefore you need a script with your whole childhood history on hand. Otherwise, a lack of depth makes you sound like a fanboy. You want to hear his thoughts, that's why you are calling in but that doesn't necessarily includes idol worshiping.

Besides, best cure against pesky extroverts, the most challenging people in the offline word, is non-verbal internet communication, the equalizer No. 1, good to know, cuz thoughts left unspoken could ruin you the day.  :happy:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.