Looking for introductory materials for investing in stocks

Hello, can anyone recommend introductory resources for investing in stocks? I have a friend wanting to invest in medical marijuana stocks, with no knowledge of the process. He came to me for advice, but I have NO idea how it works, and would like to learn more. Also, if anyone is already investing, what's your stance on medical marijuana stocks?

Hello, can anyone recommend introductory resources for investing in stocks? I have a friend wanting to invest in medical marijuana stocks, with no knowledge of the process. He came to me for advice, but I have NO idea how it works, and would like to learn more. Also, if anyone is already investing, what's your stance on medical marijuana stocks?

I don't know the particulars, but I would find it very, very unlikely that any medical marijuana stuff is traded on public exchanges. I don't know all the particulars, but it is still federally illegal and exchanges and brokers probably wouldn't want to get involved.

I may be wrong, but just saying.

• 2 weeks later...

There is one way and one way only to make money in the "Stock" market. You have to hold your investment for a minimum of 5 years. If you cannot do this, or if you will need the money before 5 years I strongly advise AGAINST buying any stocks. From here I could write a 10 pg dissertation about my disaster of a journey of buying and selling equities and the anxiety it gave me but I will leave you with what I have already stated, tip my hat, and move along. 

• 2 weeks later...

Medical Marijuana stocks are a tricky investment but they should see credible gains in the next few years as more states legalize medical marijuana. The only ones that I know of are the penny stocks which aren't a risky investment but at the same time penny stocks don't always make large gains.

• 4 weeks later...

You definitely want to take MeAT's advice seriously, investing in stocks is challenging, but can be rewarding, so long as you treat it as a long term proposition. It sounds cliché, but your friend would do well to consider a diverse portfolio, rather than simply dumping all their money into marijuana stocks. If they have done their research, fine, but going "all-in" on one or a few equities is a very risky idea. There are indeed companies involved in marijuana production and distribution who are now publicly traded (Growlife, Ticker: PHOT comes to mind), but your friend should proceed with caution. Not only is investing risky in general, but the conflict between how state governments and the federal government view the legality of canibis could make these stocks even more volatile than they naturally would be. All this being said, here are two basic books on investing I would recommend to any investing newbie:

"The Little Book that Beats the Market" by Joel Greenblatt, and "Beating the Street" by Peter Lynch

I think your friend should read more than just these two books before doing any serious investing, but they are a good (and quick) start. Your original post was almost two months ago now, so I don't know what your friend's situation is. Does he have a brokerage account opened up? He would need one to easily trade equities. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, just ask.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.