1% compliance with internet sales tax in CA

NumberSix

This is an old article but it gives you an idea of how many people voluntarily pay taxes.

Amazon Tax: California Residents To Start Paying Sales Tax

"California residents are supposed to calculate their obligation and send it directly to the state. But fewer than 1 percent do, according to the Franchise Tax Board."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/13/amazon-tax-california-res_n_1882441.html

Basically there are around 1% of hard core masochists floating around. It's the sadists we have to worry about.

Actually, that 1% doesn't mean that it's people who choose to pay in the abstract. Most of them (given the 99% lack of participation) probably only participate out of fear of consequence.

• 3 weeks later...

This is an old article but it gives you an idea of how many people voluntarily pay taxes.

Amazon Tax: California Residents To Start Paying Sales Tax

"California residents are supposed to calculate their obligation and send it directly to the state. But fewer than 1 percent do, according to the Franchise Tax Board."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/13/amazon-tax-california-res_n_1882441.html

Don't tax the net ever.

Ban taxing the net.

I avoid Amazon.com for several reasons.  Only one of them is the Sales Taxes.  Ebay and lots of other places charge less AND don't charge Sales Tax.

What are the other reasons you avoid amazon?  I currently live in PA, and have almost completely stopped using Amazon because of the sales tax.  I remember the state pushing Amazon to charge and report sales tax because they had recently established a warehouse hub in my area.  Amazon could have not complied, but there was already precedence for Amazon's compliance in other states, and I'm sure dropping the warehouse to make a point was not high on the short list of options.

Sagiquarius, I quit using Amazon mostly because of their poor customer service decisions.  Their prices are pretty high as it is, but they instituted a minimum purchase requirement of $35 or they charge you shipping on top of the already over priced items.  Some items are categorized as "add on" items and those items simply cannot be purchased at all unless you meet the minimum purchase requirement.  So, instead of it being fast, friendly and easy, it is no longer easy or fast.... friendly, not so much either.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.