[YouTube] The Truth About Abraham Lincoln

Will a list of sources be posted to accompany this video? A lot of YT commenters are requesting sources and I would be curious to check them out too.

Thank you! Very well put together and informative (I think!) video.

After checking out the sources it appears to me that Stef was slightly mistaken in regards to the Santee Sioux massacre. From what I understood, Stef said that Lincoln had 300 natives executed but lied about the numbers because he feared losing support across the Atlantic. All sources I checked (including the ones linked in the video) uphold that Lincoln did in fact narrow it down to 38 that were actually executed while most of the others were pardoned or died in prison. Obviously still a grotesque and significant massacre, but I thought this distinction was worth noting since after all we are in pursuit of the truth!

• 1 year later...

Article from 2013, but a goodie.

The Truth About Abraham Lincoln & Slavery by Walter Williams

"My declarations upon this subject of negro slavery may be misrepresented, but can not be misunderstood. I have said that I do not understand the Declaration (of Independence) to mean that all men were created equal in all respects." Debating with Sen. Stephen Douglas, Lincoln said, "I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of ... making voters or jurors of Negroes nor of qualifying them to hold office nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races, which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality."

. . .

"I view the matter (Emancipation Proclamation) as a practical war measure, to be decided upon according to the advantages or disadvantages it may offer to the suppression of the rebellion." He also wrote: "I will also concede that emancipation would help us in Europe, and convince them that we are incited by something more than ambition."

. . .

The Emancipation Proclamation was not a universal declaration. It detailed where slaves were freed, only in those states "in rebellion against the United States." Slaves remained slaves in states not in rebellion — such as Kentucky, Maryland and Delaware.

. . .

Throughout most of our history, the only sources of federal revenue were excise taxes and tariffs. During the 1850s, tariffs amounted to 90 percent of federal revenue. Southern ports paid 75 percent of tariffs in 1859.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.