Interesting Child Abuse Advert in Spain

Carl Green

Wow, that's brilliant. Unless news stations let the secret out, the average abusive parent won't know that their kid is secretly getting a lifeline when they walk by. It's like the compassionate stranger who slips the kid the phone number for an abuse hotline.

I really is brilliant. I live in northern Spain and there is a lot of child abuse here, but not necessarily physical abuse, so the child rarely ever understand he/she is being abused. It is easier to understand your parents are abusing you if they physically hurt you, but it is harder when they treat you like a lesser type of human being whose ideas, desires and goals mean next to nothing compared to those of the adults.

It's funny how so many people tell me "your son is such a happy kid" (he is 2 and a half) but then they stare with bewilderment and sometimes rejection when me and my wife try to reason with him (yes, you can reason with a 2 year old) and when we eventually let him do what he wants to do even if we would prefer otherwise. Many people look at us like "what are you doing? you own him, you do with him what you want!, he should not be calling the shots!"

I do have to say to be fair that I do see a genuine affection for children here, probably more than in the US (I lived in the US for 5 years), but people find it hard to get over that cultural bullshit of treating children like property. I don't think it comes from a lack of love but from a lack of philosophical inquiry and curiosity. This can be applied to Spaniards not only in their relationship with children but also in their relationship with themselves. It is a cultural viscous cycle.

Also, I am speaking of northern Spain and assuming it is true for the rest of the country but I am not sure.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.