The Truth About Tony Benn?

I can't find it in me to harbour any resentment in me towards Tony Benn.

There is plenty I disagree with him on, particularly his romantic love of big government

but I see him as a very principled man who had strong values and stuck by them even when they made him exceedingly unpopular

in latter years he championed every anti-war cause going, I think he had integrity

perhaps the wrong kind

He was a career politician and lived off other peoples productivity all his life. He was a ruling elite parasite.

He opposed war but fought in WWII and thought government is necessary to solve social problems, despite government being the only organisation that produces "war".

I don't see where he is principled, it all looks like sentimental BS to me.

It saddens me that people judge others by their rhetoric and not their actions.

I agree FP.. But how about you do one too fella.. :D

Only if you want too of course. I'd like to hear your thoughts in more detail all the same, if you wanted to share them.

In many ways Benn played from the sidelines politically, certainly in his later years. That said, my generation were in rapture with his tomfoolery. So I think he bares some responsibility for encouraging the leftist mindset in our current culture. This despite his more recent anti war protestations. He is however, infinitely more likable than Claire Short or God forbid that harridan Harriet Harman..  ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.