I have been summoned!

While I am sure it is annoying for most people, it is a particular kind of annoyance to an anarchist. I get a letter in a sense that tells me that I must perform my duty as a member of a criminal jury and if I do not, they will fine me $1,000 (or I can reschedule so they can summon me again in a few months, which is just delaying the pain). Of course, these are the "good guys". The "bad guy" might be a kid who had the wrong vegetable in his pocket and never threatened me with a fine or jail.

Regardless, I will have to call a number to see if I have to go to jury duty in a week and a half. I am planning on trying to get on the jury and then voting "not guilty" to any non-crimes that may be brought against the defendant and "guilty" to anything that is actually wrong that they can be proven reasonably guilty of. It could be an interesting form of civil disobedience, but we will have to see what happens.

I am a low number, so it is pretty likely I will have to go in for at least a day. After that, it depends if I get placed on a jury or not.

I just wanted to post here and see if anyone had any words of encouragement, or a similar example and what they did, or to tell me not to do this if at all possible because a judge could hold me in contempt or something.

I will try to remember and post back here what my experience was when it is all over, if anything interesting ends coming out of this.

If I were in court and on the stand I would pray that there was an anarchist in the jury. That being said if I was summoned for jury duty I would certainly go. Though, I do hear there is a screening for jury members and if you bring up anything like jury nullification or even appear morally sane they simply won't let you on, that's how sadistic the system is.

If I were in court and on the stand I would pray that there was an anarchist in the jury. That being said if I was summoned for jury duty I would certainly go. Though, I do hear there is a screening for jury members and if you bring up anything like jury nullification or even appear morally sane they simply won't let you on, that's how sadistic the system is.

I am able to pretend to be one of the herd. I did it for most of my life.

I would like to share a method I have used on several occasions in order to get out of jury duty.  Usually--at least in my state--one will receive an initial notice in the mail which you are supposed to return.  On that notice will be a section allowing you to list some reason why you should be excused from "duty."  I have on multiple occasions written that it would be inappropriate for me to serve on a jury on account of my psychic abilities, which would interfere with the ordinary legal procedures. 

Sounds stupid, right?  Well, previous to adopting this strategy I would receive these notices almost every single year.  After having returned 2 or so notices with this comment, I have COMPLETELY stopped receiving notices for jury duty.  It has been approximately 7 years since I have last received a notice. 

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

(Just in case it is necessary to state it explicitly--no, I don't really believe that I have psychic abilities.)

nobody, maybe I stopped being called because for education I wrote "School of life." Damn.

I got called twice, and wasted two half-days taking the bus to the meeting arena to sit there and not be put on any jury, then get a slap-in-the-face check for a few dollars to cover my time. I never cashed either check. Even then, before I had ever learned about voluntaryism, I wanted to serve on a jury. Now, knowing about the purpose of a jury as an ultimate check on justice, I would love to serve on one and have the opportunity to make a difference between justice and injustice when the law is unjust and someone who has harmed nobody is facing time in a cage.

I would like to share a method I have used on several occasions in order to get out of jury duty.  Usually--at least in my state--one will receive an initial notice in the mail which you are supposed to return.  On that notice will be a section allowing you to list some reason why you should be excused from "duty."  I have on multiple occasions written that it would be inappropriate for me to serve on a jury on account of my psychic abilities, which would interfere with the ordinary legal procedures. 

Sounds stupid, right?  Well, previous to adopting this strategy I would receive these notices almost every single year.  After having returned 2 or so notices with this comment, I have COMPLETELY stopped receiving notices for jury duty.  It has been approximately 7 years since I have last received a notice. 

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

When I got the "pre-screening" form for NY, there were no free form questions. There was only "are you a felon" and basic things like that. Which, of course, I had to answer correctly or I would be guilty of felony perjury or something. So, no option for any of that.

Once upon a time, I was in a left turn lane, signal on, waiting for the light to turn green so that I could continue. A police car was behind me and as soon as I made the turn, his light bar lit up. Turns out I had a warrant out for my arrest. I was in holding for several hours before my support system was able to make bail. I finally have my day in court; Turns out I didn't answer the jury notice they sent me to an address I hadn't lived at for seven years. Clearly that was my fault, so being kidnapped was okay *rolls eyes*

The only advice I have is to NOT engage in any gimmicks that might increase State attention towards you in the future. That is one predator you want to be as much off the radar to as possible.

Once upon a time, I was in a left turn lane, signal on, waiting for the light to turn green so that I could continue. A police car was behind me and as soon as I made the turn, his light bar lit up. Turns out I had a warrant out for my arrest. I was in holding for several hours before my support system was able to make bail. I finally have my day in court; Turns out I didn't answer the jury notice they sent me to an address I hadn't lived at for seven years. Clearly that was my fault, so being kidnapped was okay *rolls eyes*

The only advice I have is to NOT engage in any gimmicks that might increase State attention towards you in the future. That is one predator you want to be as much off the radar to as possible.

...and what if you couldn't post bail?  I avoid cops at all costs.  I don't care how many "good cops" there out there.  They are, by the nature of the system, part of a predatory class of lethal enforcement that doesn't care about the nuances of their prey.  Their master says "sick'em" and they go running.  Many cops know that if they piss off the wrong overseer, they would be just as fucked as you or I.

I was summoned once as well.  I responded immediately by answering the questions honestly.  The final question was:  Is there any reason we shouldn't consider you for jury duty?" or something like that.  To which I responded:  "I do not believe in the authority of the court system to fairly judge the lives of others nor is your compensation adequate to cover my lost wages during the proceedings."  They left me alone.  My friend got a summons that basically said:  "You will come, or you will be punished."  She went - my summons seemed relatively polite.

I'll go next time, just for the experience.  Perhaps I utilize jury nullification if possible.

You should know that as a juror, you get to judge the validity of the law as well as the case.  That means if you feel the law that the accused is being prosecuted for is egregious, you can find the accused innocent.

...however, do not breathe a word of this knowledge to anyone before you are picked or they will remove you from the pool immediately.

...if you want the whole jury pool eliminated, ask a nice, thoughtful question about "Jury nullification" while as many people as possible are within earshot.

I was summoned to jury duty and in the paperwork, there was a box to write comments. I can't recall exactly what is was for, maybe for opposition on religious grounds. I wrote in there that I oppose jury duty on moral grounds. Not in detail, just something like "I oppose jury duty on moral grounds". I received a postcard shortly thereafter that said I was excused.

I was still a constiuntionalist when I was last called for jury duty and thus was very excited. Even then I was severely disturbed by the whole system. In a constitutional system I believe the people are the fourth branch of government and thus the concept of jury nullification is an important one. However, it was made very clear that the judge rules on the "law" and we are to just decide the "facts". Being that I'm self employed I have an instant out card if I want, however if called again I will probably go with a monkey wrench ready to toss into the gears of the state. 

You should know that as a juror, you get to judge the validity of the law as well as the case. That means if you feel the law that the accused is being prosecuted for is egregious, you can find the accused innocent....however, do not breathe a word of this knowledge to anyone before you are picked or they will remove you from the pool immediately....if you want the whole jury pool eliminated, ask a nice, thoughtful question about "Jury nullification" while as many people as possible are within earshot.

The best approach seems to be to not ever mention the concept to anyone during your whole jury experience. After all, if you exercise nullification, that's not the reason for finding the defendant not guilty, that's the action by which you are able to do so; the reason is that you don't think the defendant is guilty of a crime. You were asked for a judgment, and that is your judgment (and why even a single juror can ensure that the defendant isn't found guilty).

I've always wanted to get called upon.  Precisely for the scenario Prarie describes. I'm assuming that if you are able to hide your personal convictions you can act as a true moral arbiter of another person.  It's not perfect of course, but it's about the only time you get to do that.  But am I in the ballpark if I assume that most victimless crimes like pot possession do not ever get as far as a jury trial?  I would assume that most of the time you're not going to be in that juicy jury nullification area and are more than likely ruling over folks who have done actual wrong things.  However, if my brief experience with the legal system over a stupid license plate is any indication, getting roped into jury duty may be far more unplesant than I imagine and perhaps that's why there's such a strong "get out of…" impulse in people.

But am I in the ballpark if I assume that most victimless crimes like pot possession do not ever get as far a jury trial?

I can't answer that, but I can say that even if a person is 100% innocent, an attorney, even a high-dollar "good" attorney, is going to recommend pleaing for the sake of a smaller bottom line (monetarily) for his client. My last brush cost me $6,000 BEFORE we started the step to go to trial. It would've cost me a whole lot more except state police had deleted a 911 call by me ahead of their own 30-day window and after my lawyer's written request for a copy, so it got thrown out. 

Anyways, despite my innocence, my attorney (who had served me very well in the past) had suggested I take a plea bargain in order to save money. It is no accident that the system works this way.

The last time I was summoned for jury duty I was called up for different 3 jury selection sessions over the day of eligibility. When asked if I could be an impartial juror in the case after they had introduced the assistant DA, the defendant, his attorney, and all the named possible witnesses I honestly said that I could not trust the testimony of the police.  I stated that because, after a many personal interactions with them, I know they are untrustworthy profession (and the people drawn to such a job) and will often lie and bend the facts to get their way/win and lie/falsify information to back each other up -always. 

It wasn't a popular opinion on the other side of the bench but other prospective jurors were pretty much all nodding their heads. When a juror is dismissed off of the bench they have to wait at the back while they get their 12 people whittled down so I was able to watch the aftermath. Other jurors used similar tactics after I broke that ice.  Maybe I planted some seeds.

But as someone mentioned above, I suppose I got put onto some secret lists for my anti-authoritarian viewpoint.  

• 1 year later...

I'm currently serving on a jury, about to begin deliberation in a criminal trial, where the "victims" are minors who the prosecution claims have the protection of the law since they are not "of age" to rationally or reasonably make decisions about their lives. I'm torn because there are clearly victims in this incident, as presented by the prosecution beyond a reasonable doubt, however, I don't agree with the justice system as the proper means to deal with convicts of this nature.

Are there crimes where the state does currently have the best solution to protect those that are preyed upon? I fault the parents of the minors a great deal for allowing their children to be in the circumstances which lead to the incident, but they're not on trial, nor is there a proper mechanism by which parents are brought to justice in our current system.

The circumstances testified to by witnesses, victims, and the defendant them self put the defendant at fault for the crime and in clear violation of the law. 

If I support a GUILTY verdict, I'm providing my consent for the full force of the legal and executive system to ravish this person's life, place them in a prison where they will be preyed upon and raped, and likely not receive the psychological aid that they are in so much need of, considering the details of the case.

However, if I support a NOT GUILTY verdict, I am supporting this person in their return to the streets where they can continue to pursue this lifestyle that clearly puts minors in danger for their person and potentially their lives. However, I know that a person's freedom is restored.

I apologize for being vague, but I am still sitting on the jury and cannot release specific details of the case. Looking for feedback and specific, logical, rational discussion about the topic.

FYI, there is little chance for jury nullification in this trial. The offenses being claimed and prosecuted are of such a nature that to nullify the law would remove the legal protection of many minors and children that currently do not have the support of parents or the community in their protection.

I'm summoned to be on duty 11/16. Part of me wants to pour bleach in the Court's punch bowl and express outrage at my being used as a weapons to coerce guilty pleas. Often once a trial has started the negotiations begin in earnest and even the guilty don't deserve to be threatened further for presenting a defense. I'd consider nullification, yet there are also truly heinous acts and I have to admit to being relieved when animals aren't a threat anymore.

At least in California, USA, I can be excused from jury duty because attending subjects me to "undue financial hardship." Basically, if your employer doesn't pay your full salary while you attend jury duty, then you can get them to write a letter to the court stating such, thus attending directly results in a loss of pay.

I totally forgot to do this process once and was forced to attend for a day. I was late, and later learned that they had marked me absent, but I spent all day reading Power and Market. When I got the notice that I had no showed, I responded with a formal version of "nuh uh, I wuz there." The matter was settled.

Now, I make sure to get that letter.

My girlfriend was summoned a while ago and they gave out notebooks to jot down notes. They claimed that they wouldn't read them but alas they did. She scribbled some "questionable and compromising" things to which they thought it best to dismiss her.

I was summoned to jury duty and in the paperwork, there was a box to write comments. I can't recall exactly what is was for, maybe for opposition on religious grounds. I wrote in there that I oppose jury duty on moral grounds. Not in detail, just something like "I oppose jury duty on moral grounds". I received a postcard shortly thereafter that said I was excused.

Hey, what's that car in your sig?

If anyone has to serve on jury, do not drink coffee that day.  Restroom breaks aren't what they should be.

My girlfriend was summoned a while ago and they gave out notebooks to jot down notes. They claimed that they wouldn't read them but alas they did. She scribbled some "questionable and compromising" things to which they thought it best to dismiss her.

When I was threatened into going, I ended up just being a nuisance to the people selecting the jury. I challenged a lot of their assumptions. They had asked us what percentage of evidence we think should be required to convict someone. The question that finally got them to let me go free was about the definition of evidence and how one defines a unit of measure for it so that I would know what for instance "50% of the evidence" means. I was curious whether a single discrete peice of evidence was equal to another and not weighted in any way, so 1 DNA tests and 1 testimony would be considered identical. I asked the guy how one measures this. He just ended up repeating himself like he had ran off some script and couldn't do anything without it. He seemed pretty embarrassed and annoyed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.