Links between government and religion?

Anyone have any good resources on this?  It seems to me the two are very closely linked.  The first governments spawned out of the priesthood literally, and it is only very recently that governments were not supposedly ordained by some kind of god.  Governments have the symbology, the chanting, the appeals to a higher power.  Just looking for some concrete sources to back me up if I'm correct....it almost seems to me as if statism literally is a religion.

The first governments sprang up from mafia, or organized crime.  Like I have pointed out in my previous content, organized crime began to a large degree with trash removal.  On one hand it developed organizationally to a point where cities could grow in size because these organizations were capable of servicing more and more communities. On the other hand they had more people dependant on them.  At least in those times there was a semblance of free market so they by default had to respect their clientele in some measure, and they could not simply rob people blind because there would be no money left in the system.

The relationship between government and religion has always been very tenuous, and temporal.  The series Rome has an interesting scene portraying the freshly triumphant dictator Julius Caesar bribing the local priest for public blessings.  The priest tells Caesar about the extravagant pallet of his wife and how she likes to eat only oysters.  Caesar throws out a number and the priest replies that his wife's appetite for oysters is far greater than that small number could afford her.  They barter a deal and Caesar's government was publicly endorsed and legitimized by the priest.  I suspect that this was more or less how kings have been anointed by the Vatican for most of European history.

KD

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.