Police may now stop drivers based only on anonymous tip, rules Supreme Court

Michael McGuire

http://rt.com/usa/154144-scotus-anonymous-tip-police-stop/

I'd love to hear Stef chat about this a bit.

It seems like a major development in the breakdown of the rule of law.  Now the information illegally discovered without a search warrant by law enforcement/NSA can be used merely by placing an annonymous call...  this also has other terrible implications.

Things are much worse in Australia. Of course, Australia was founded as a penal colony (police state) so it is to be expected.

If you are pulled over you have to provide your drivers license, your name and your address.

You have to submit to a breath test, which involves putting a straw in your mouth and blowing into it.

You have to submit to a drug test which involves putting a medical swab in your mouth to collect a saliva sample.

Failure to comply with the above will result in punishment, guaranteed. The police never even pretend that you have any rights at all (you pretty much don't). The notion of inalienable is completely foreign to them. Their only goal is to ensure obedience to the state.

Things are much worse in Australia. Of course, Australia was founded as a penal colony (police state) so it is to be expected.If you are pulled over you have to provide your drivers license, your name and your address.You have to submit to a breath test, which involves putting a straw in your mouth and blowing into it.You have to submit to a drug test which involves putting a medical swab in your mouth to collect a saliva sample.Failure to comply with the above will result in punishment, guaranteed. The police never even pretend that you have any rights at all (you pretty much don't). The notion of inalienable is completely foreign to them. Their only goal is to ensure obedience to the state.

Didn't the Aussies recently outlaw gun ownership? Not completely, but in effect they are outlawed, yes?

Looks like "working as intended" to me. "Paper no stoppy the bullets!" -Stefan Molyneux

No doubt. That piece of paper gots lots of work to do. We just need more faith in it. sincerely,

typical  minarchistSo the supreme dunces in black robes who worship the state have decided the state can do whatever it wants? Never saw that coming.

Didn't the Aussies recently outlaw gun ownership? Not completely, but in effect they are outlawed, yes?

Not exactly, although it is a common misconception, even among Australians. In 1996 there was the 'Port Arthur Massacre' in Tasmania, where some nutjob went on a rampage and killed 36 tourists at the old convict settlement. Within a year, handguns were near completely banned, as were automatic and semi automatic rifles. You can still own bolt action rifles and shotguns. All guns must be registered, and all owners licensed. For more information look on wiki, I think the article is called 'gun ownership in Australia'. I think about 5% of the population still have guns, mostly in country areas.

I see. They are not explicitly outlawed, but they have effectively been outlawed. Not sure that will make those in need of gun for protection feel better after the fact.

"As of 2007 about 5.2% of Australian adults (765,000 people)[1] own and use firearms for purposes such as hunting, controlling feral animals, collecting, and target shooting."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Australia

Not Really. I don't own a gun but getting one is not difficult. Just take the 1 day course, pass the test, make up some bullshit story about controlling feral animals, apply for the license, pay the fee, wait for the approval, then go to a gun shop. Granted, I would much prefer not to have to any of those steps except the last one - major waste of my time.

In any case, it is far easier to get a gun license than a driving license. You now have to prove, and I use the word 'prove' loosely, that you have had 240 hours driving practice on a learner's permit, among other things, before you are allowed to apply for a probationary license. Luckily I got mine in 2002 when it was much easier.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.