My Theory on the Keyboard Warrior

MysterionMuffles

Here's a theory I came up with to explain the rampant phenomenon of the keyboard warrior. Particularly the kind you find on Youtube endlessly debating with people in the comments section. My debate with this fellow was pretty short and it didn't get too heated, but he did choose to bow out of it before it did. Hope you enjoy:

lol I totally understand. We get so attached to our viewpoints and we just wish people shared it, so in turn we get into that vain belief that we can become keyboard warriors in order to convince online strangers to share our views. Why? I don't know...

I think it has a lot to do with how we're brought up. Our parents pretend they know everything when we're young, and it's fine because it would be scary to have a parent who doesn't seem to know anything when we're that young and dependant on them.

But as we grow older and form our own identities, we come to accept different beliefs from them and our own opinions about the world. Then sometimes we get into conflicts with them beause of that disparity.

Some of us may have never had the courage or strength to have deep enough conversations with our parents, especially ones that can get our views validated by them. They don't even have to agree, but at least acknowledge we have contrary beliefs and opinions to theirs.

I think that's where a lot of the Youtube Keyboard Warrior mentality comes from. To think if we can have clever enough arguments then maybe, just maybe we can change somebody else's viewpoint to mirror ours.

But it's not cleverness and keyboard kourage we need...it's vulnerability. And you sir, I thank you for vulnerability and humility in choosing to end our "debate" within good reason.

Just a theory, take it for what it's worth!

I may, on occasion be guilty of this sort of thing, although I quite frequently have political and vaguely philosophical arguments with my parents, too.

This cartoon is pretty well on the money, as regards online debating... There may be an element of compensating for real-world timidity...

Posted Image

Many times I have just observed 2 people (or more) debating a subject and it has informed my opinion.

I have never seen a live debate on any subject where one person has changed the other person's mind.

The value in having debates in my view is not so much that you are trying to change the other person's mind, but you are helping the silent viewers by providing them information to inform their views.  That's why debating in forums, where the debate stands forever and anybody can come along and read them, has value.

It's also why you are better off not using ad hominems, getting angry and such because it tends to turn people off.  

There's always a point in every debate though where further debate becomes pointless.

I have never seen a live debate on any subject where one person has changed the other person's mind.

If you mean video that's probably due to the forum, people don't like being recorded admitting their mistakes. If you mean in person then that's a sign of some close-minded people. At the very least if I'm challenged on something and no longer sure of my position, I'll admit that, even if it takes me a few days to figure out if I was truly wrong or just hadn't thought about that exception in particular.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.