Advice until one can afford a therapist

Shane H.

I graduated university about a year ago and deFOOed a few months ago. l now have no one in my life which I never thought would be such a problem considering how introverted I tend to default to. Until all of this became a reality though I had never realized how important others were in my life, even if they are corrupt, or statist, or religious, or boring. The only thing I truly enjoy in my day is the podcast, listening to at least two or even up to eight on my days off.

I've just gotten a good job and am busting my hump trying to save up for therapy. In the meantime, I cry just about everyday for an hour or two, and hard. This has become a serious problem as I work 14 hours a day and I need to stay friendly and pleasant to customers. It's all commission based so if I'm not at the top of my game I'm not making the money I need for therapy in the first place. I do my best to get it all out in the morning or night but half of the time I end up needing to hide in the bathroom and try to keep my weeping as quiet as possible.

Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any advice for what to do until I can afford therapy?

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble affording therapy sessions at the moment.I've found this website to be a great source of helpful content https://personal-growth-programs.com/ There are some useful books available with exercises that you can do on your own.  This is another website that might be useful to you http://sfhelp.org/ Another thing that comes to mind is that it's possible to schedule therapy sessions as often as you can afford, once every two weeks, once a month, etc. You can also let the therapist you would like to work with know about your financial situation and see if they are able to negotiate a price that fits in your budget. I hope all goes well, Shane.

I'm sorry to hear that but I'm not surprised. My advice is connect with people in the community and chat, that's the best way to feel less alone. I started doing this recently and have had some ridiculously good conversations. If you are feeling really brave, a call into the show might also be a good idea :)

(Oh and welcome to the boards!  :happy:)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.