Meditation overrated

Emman

I think that meditation is a great means to self-reflection, and self-reflection, which gains you self-knowledge, is a means to a happier life.

The process of meditation involves the minimization of sensory stimuli and clearing your mind. The reduction of sensory stimuli and temporarily ceasing to think about your worries leads to stress relaxation, which is also healthy.

So, in that sense, I believe in meditation. But of course, the purpose of your meditation needs to be specifically self-reflection or relaxation. All those other claims about meditation I've frankly always found bullshit; a placebo effect at best.

Meditation actually increases the gray matter in your brain, which is responsible for clearer thinking and taking in new information. We spend a lot of our days thinking to ourselves and thinking about our tasks at work. The brain NEEDS a pause from that stuff, especially in a conscious state. You cannot fill a cup that is already full. Meditation empties your cup, so to speak, and helps you in becoming more receptive to the present moment.

To each their own. I'm personally a big believer in meditation. To echo Rainbow Jamz a bit, I find that learning to clear my mind, to learn to let thoughts slip away as quickly as they come, is a way to put my mind at ease. I'm able to relax much better throughout the day, I don't carry tension in my body. Your mind is always chattering away, always on, always processing information. Just like a computer, shutting down, or at least restarting is quite beneficial.

If you're going to slap up an article supporting a claim, or shooting one down, at least present your own developed thoughts. Vague one liners don't exactly provoke any sort of deep discussion. The very link you provided doesn't even discredit meditation, it merely casts doubt on its ability to combat complex ailments, mainly due to lack of proper funding and subsequent data. Meditation's ability to relieve tension and stress goes unshaken, and the article even states it relieves anxiety and depression "to a similar degree as antidepressant drug therapy."

That's pretty awesome in my book.

If you're going to slap up an article supporting a claim, or shooting one down, at least present your own developed thoughts. Vague one liners don't exactly provoke any sort of deep discussion. The very link you provided doesn't even discredit meditation, it merely casts doubt on its ability to combat complex ailments, mainly due to lack of proper funding and subsequent data. Meditation's ability to relieve tension and stress goes unshaken, and the article even states it relieves anxiety and depression "to a similar degree as antidepressant drug therapy."

That's pretty awesome in my book.

Exactly my thoughts. It's definitely overrated if you thought it had magical curative properties but for stress relief, anxiety, and depression it is underrated by most. I recognize the benefits and even then I have to remind myself to do it sometimes. :P

It would help if 'meditation' was properly defined. I see it as emptying the mind, stopping all thinking (as far as it's possible for me to do). And yes, you feel better after, and yes, it has lasting benign effects. 

Mmm.. I see vague correlations attempting to prove a strong attachment. Marihuana anyone?

wait, are you saying Mary Jane only has vague correlations to it's supposed benefits? man talk about controversial claims.

Say what you will about meditation, but go attacking people's Marijuana and you may just stir up a hornet's nest!  :woot:

wait, are you saying Mary Jane only has vague correlations to it's supposed benefits? man talk about controversial claims.

Say what you will about meditation, but go attacking people's Marijuana and you may just stir up a hornet's nest!  :woot:

No, I am saying that people here and everywhere defend these things with vague or biased correlations. Finding a correlation in the opposite direction, as the article does, is proof enough of that, as is your "hornet's nest" statement. Bigotries galore on this, god's earth...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.