Should I continue?

efioptv

Today, I just took a political quiz, there are three terms that I need to define and one of them is "Southern Pacific Railroad", what? how can this be a politcal term? Im failing this class...In last semester, I took the "part a" of this class and failed it too ( GE requirements to take this two semester long classes )

Right now, Im studying graphic design and Im doing pretty well, the professors like most of my work and Im passing those gd classes with high grades. I ask myself, do I really need to continue study in this horrible place where Im being forced to waste my time on classes that I have no interest in studying?

I did some searches on being a graphic designer without a degree, most of them saying it is a plus to have one. Nowadays (2014), it feels like a person is hard to get a good living without a degree. My goal is to be a UI designer, web designer, and logo designer.

Im really struggling...and one of important factor is my parents expect me to get a degree...since they think a degree is important for my future.

Im really struggling...and one of important factor is my parents expect me to get a degree...since they think a degree is important for my future.

How do you know?

I went to school for engineering, because my parents told me it was important for my future.

They didn't want me to go to school for anything to do with me. They wanted the prestige of having raised college graduates.

As far as if you should continue going to school, that is up to you.

I am not saying that it might not be beneficial, as I have no idea. However, I would think graphic design you would learn a ton more by going out there and doing graphic design. I also do not know if you would need a "job" in order to do graphic design. You could start a business and just go do it.

Obviously, I would defer to you as you have done far more research than I as to what is best, but those are just my thoughts.

How do you know?

I went to school for engineering, because my parents told me it was important for my future.

They didn't want me to go to school for anything to do with me. They wanted the prestige of having raised college graduates.

As far as if you should continue going to school, that is up to you.

I am not saying that it might not be beneficial, as I have no idea. However, I would think graphic design you would learn a ton more by going out there and doing graphic design. I also do not know if you would need a "job" in order to do graphic design. You could start a business and just go do it.

Obviously, I would defer to you as you have done far more research than I as to what is best, but those are just my thoughts.

I dont think my parents want the prestige since they let me choose what I want as long as I am not wasting my time and not getting anything. From what I learn, most of the skills can only be learn through experience. Not going to college can free up a lot of time for me to learn more about the skill, but from what I see, a degree is a must even though people with a piece of paper are not sure of getting a job...

I think if you practiced and had a gallery of work that you could show to prospective clients, that would mean a hell of a lot more than a degree, but it depends more on whether you want to freelance or join an already existing company. (where they will want to weed out applicants using the college degree system) If you want to become a logo designer, why not offer to make some logos for free for application developers on platforms like Android? It would be impressive to see your work actually being used on a website or application somewhere in the wild, and not charging for the first few is a good way to make that happen. Afterwards you can point to them as evidence of your ability and begin charging new clients. 

Obviously you can also dip your toes into the industry through acquiring a degree and being hired by some professional design firm, but that takes more time and investment and has a similar guarantee (none) of success. It's up to you what is a better path, just for the love of god don't listen to your parents. I can say this from experience, if you are going to college because of your parent's expectations, you will struggle and likely fail. Even if you do succeed you will hate yourself the entire time for succumbing to their pressure. Feeling shamed by them is a thousand times better than the misery you will go through if you stick to their commandments as a guide for living

your life.

Today, I just took a political quiz, there are three terms that I need to define and one of them is "Southern Pacific Railroad", what? how can this be a politcal term? Im failing this class...In last semester, I took the "part a" of this class and failed it too ( GE requirements to take this two semester long classes )

Right now, Im studying graphic design and Im doing pretty well, the professors like most of my work and Im passing those gd classes with high grades. I ask myself, do I really need to continue study in this horrible place where Im being forced to waste my time on classes that I have no interest in studying?

I did some searches on being a graphic designer without a degree, most of them saying it is a plus to have one. Nowadays (2014), it feels like a person is hard to get a good living without a degree. My goal is to be a UI designer, web designer, and logo designer.

I may be off-base, but it seems to me you are looking for support for a decision that you've already made: that you don't need to continue your formal education to get what you want in life.  This could be projection on my part, seeing as I sought the same external validation in my own decision (even after it was made) to discontinue my pursuit of a degree.  One realization that made my decision easier was this: any employer who would disqualify me solely for my lack of formal credentials is an employer with whom I would loathe to work.  Though the statistical prospects of finding a high-paying job without a degree may be somewhat reduced, this statistic will never change if high quality individuals continue to accept, as a matter of course, the current academic standards.

I dont think my parents want the prestige since they let me choose what I want as long as I am not wasting my time and not getting anything. From what I learn, most of the skills can only be learn through experience. Not going to college can free up a lot of time for me to learn more about the skill, but from what I see, a degree is a must even though people with a piece of paper are not sure of getting a job...

Do they define wasting your time as not getting a degree?

I think if you practiced and had a gallery of work that you could show to prospective clients, that would mean a hell of a lot more than a degree, but it depends more on whether you want to freelance or join an already existing company. (where they will want to weed out applicants using the college degree system) If you want to become a logo designer, why not offer to make some logos for free for application developers on platforms like Android? It would be impressive to see your work actually being used on a website or application somewhere in the wild, and not charging for the first few is a good way to make that happen. Afterwards you can point to them as evidence of your ability and begin charging new clients. 

Obviously you can also dip your toes into the industry through acquiring a degree and being hired by some professional design firm, but that takes more time and investment and has a similar guarantee (none) of success. It's up to you what is a better path, just for the love of god don't listen to your parents. I can say this from experience, if you are going to college because of your parent's expectations, you will struggle and likely fail. Even if you do succeed you will hate yourself the entire time for succumbing to their pressure. Feeling shamed by them is a thousand times better than the misery you will go through if you stick to their commandments as a guide for living

your life.

I think Im too relied on the public education. Before going to college, I was thinking about going computer science. I started to learn programming and wasnt able to understand it when I was reading books from the library during high school, then I thought I will magically understand when I take college classes. Of course, I got smacked in the face and failed a few classes. Then I decided to be a graphic designer since I have been interest in drawing. I have taught myself how to use those creative tools and finding quite a lot of people in the beginning design class have little to no knowledge on how to use them (but I know there are A LOT of people who know a lot more than I do). I am doing pretty well on those classes, but I dont think my skills are good enough to get into the industry yet...When I talking to my parents, they told me a lot of things and saying I should stay. They said Im avoiding the stuff when there are something blocking my way, like when I found out I dont like math, I "drop" my level to graphic design. Now, I dont like this politics class and Im "dropping" my level even further. It seems like they are right? I am trying to avoiding every difficult things?

I may be off-base, but it seems to me you are looking for support for a decision that you've already made: that you don't need to continue your formal education to get what you want in life.  This could be projection on my part, seeing as I sought the same external validation in my own decision (even after it was made) to discontinue my pursuit of a degree.  One realization that made my decision easier was this: any employer who would disqualify me solely for my lack of formal credentials is an employer with whom I would loathe to work.  Though the statistical prospects of finding a high-paying job without a degree may be somewhat reduced, this statistic will never change if high quality individuals continue to accept, as a matter of course, the current academic standards.

Im actually confuse and not sure what I should do...from the researches that I found, having a degree is a huge plus to get to my goal, but I have to take this classes that Im not interest in...

Do they define wasting your time as not getting a degree?

Ya. but from what they told me, it doesnt seem they are thinking all about themselves. ...or is that an illusion?

When I talking to my parents, they told me a lot of things and saying I should stay. They said Im avoiding the stuff when there are something blocking my way, like when I found out I dont like math, I "drop" my level to graphic design. Now, I dont like this politics class and Im "dropping" my level even further. It seems like they are right? I am trying to avoiding every difficult things?

You didn't avoid learning to use creative tools when you became interested in graphic design. The motivation for that comes from your desire, so what do you want to do next?

I own/operate a five person design firm.  Although all of my employees do have a degree, we do not require them or screen non-degreed people out of the hiring process.  My newest hire just has a two-year degree.

If you are not quite ready to jump into the work force, you might stay in school with the path to least resistance. E.g., take very easy classes and use your spare time to practice your design.  

I did this. I just took the easiest classes I could and then used my own time to work on things I cared about.  I walked out with an art degree, but it never helped me get hired.   I was also going to a very lame, inexpensive third-tier state school and my folks were covering my tuition.  Although I earn enough now to pay the entire five-year tuition in about three weeks.  

If you are taking on debt to get the degree or burning lots of money, I'd skip it.

(Disclosure:  I'm in my early forties)

Another question:  You say you drop complicated things.  Do you listen to FDR podcasts?

Ya. but from what they told me, it doesnt seem they are thinking all about themselves. ...or is that an illusion?

It kind of sounds like it to me. If they are thinking of you, why are they telling you getting a degree is the only way to "not waste time"? But I definitely might be wrong, I only have a bit of information. You said above that you think most of the skills you need can only be gained from experience. Have you discussed that with your parents?

You didn't avoid learning to use creative tools when you became interested in graphic design. The motivation for that comes from your desire, so what do you want to do next?

What my parents told me that I should take on the uninteresting challenge because someday, I might not be working on a job that I studied in college. They gave me examples of my cousin who now is working in the fire department and enjoying his high pay job sitting in a office. He was studying engineering in university (almost 20 years ago). From what I see was, he did not have a goal at that time and just so happen that he did very well in this mainstream major and just so happen the fire department recruit people base on the level of education. So what my parents think is in every field, employer will always look at the education first which makes the degree important.

What are your goals?

be a designer and have a job that I enjoy.

Degrees are worthless in the design world. Everything is based on your portfolio, especially if you are freelancing.

Even the first job?

I own/operate a five person design firm.  Although all of my employees do have a degree, we do not require them or screen non-degreed people out of the hiring process.  My newest hire just has a two-year degree.

If you are not quite ready to jump into the work force, you might stay in school with the path to least resistance. E.g., take very easy classes and use your spare time to practice your design.  

I did this. I just took the easiest classes I could and then used my own time to work on things I cared about.  I walked out with an art degree, but it never helped me get hired.   I was also going to a very lame, inexpensive third-tier state school and my folks were covering my tuition.  Although I earn enough now to pay the entire five-year tuition in about three weeks.  

If you are taking on debt to get the degree or burning lots of money, I'd skip it.

(Disclosure:  I'm in my early forties)

Another question:  You say you drop complicated things.  Do you listen to FDR podcasts?

Ya, but not every podcast. From what you said, it seems Im better off staying the university. Since I will not get in debt after getting a degree.

What my parents told me that I should take on the uninteresting challenge because someday, I might not be working on a job that I studied in college. They gave me examples of my cousin who now is working in the fire department and enjoying his high pay job sitting in a office. He was studying engineering in university (almost 20 years ago). From what I see was, he did not have a goal at that time and just so happen that he did very well in this mainstream major and just so happen the fire department recruit people base on the level of education. So what my parents think is in every field, employer will always look at the education first which makes the degree important.

Well it sounds like your parents are quite the experts in this area. I'm assuming they both are highly successful and ended up in careers that they enjoy beyond their wildest imaginations when they were younger. I mean since one example from 20 years ago of someone who is not you is hardly a reason to do anything.... 

If someone 30 years ago managed to find a winning lottery ticket while digging through garbage would they consider that a perfectly viable long term plan for your life?

Even the first job?

During highschool I had many hobbies one of which was drawing. I'm in my early 20s now and that hobby slowly became a need. I got to a point where I can say I'm mediocre at it (as in I think I'm on par with mediocre artists that get published). I only have an online portfolio on DeviantArt and from time to time people commission me, I even had actual job offers some of which I had to turn down due to time constraints. I'm telling you all this because I have no formal education in the art field whatsoever. And nobody ever asked.

Here's some advice I wish I had gotten a long time ago: If you're good enough at something, people will pay you to do it. 

Sorry I didnt reply. Combating the politics finals :/

Why do you want to be a designer?

Not sure, but I started drawing as soon as I learnt how to hold a pencil. During 3rd grade, I calibrated with my friends on stick man comics. I find creating different UI concepts fun and interesting. Right now, I seldom use apps that have horrible UI... Guess all of this are the reason that I chose to be a designer.

Well it sounds like your parents are quite the experts in this area. I'm assuming they both are highly successful and ended up in careers that they enjoy beyond their wildest imaginations when they were younger. I mean since one example from 20 years ago of someone who is not you is hardly a reason to do anything.... 

If someone 30 years ago managed to find a winning lottery ticket while digging through garbage would they consider that a perfectly viable long term plan for your life?

Im not sure if they feel successful or not, but they always say "when we were young, our parents were not able to teach us what is right and what is wrong. We have to experience ourselves and endure the pain. From this, we know how a road should go."

If you are listening to FDR podcasts, than you probably have no problem with complex things.  They can be complex at times.

youtube videos are not podcasts right? I watch the videos and listen to them, but not every videos :P

During highschool I had many hobbies one of which was drawing. I'm in my early 20s now and that hobby slowly became a need. I got to a point where I can say I'm mediocre at it (as in I think I'm on par with mediocre artists that get published). I only have an online portfolio on DeviantArt and from time to time people commission me, I even had actual job offers some of which I had to turn down due to time constraints. I'm telling you all this because I have no formal education in the art field whatsoever. And nobody ever asked.

Here's some advice I wish I had gotten a long time ago: If you're good enough at something, people will pay you to do it. 

Wish I havent wasted all the years to play video games...My skills are not good enough yet. I have a dA account too, but my popularity I assume stays around the least on the community. Well, I have a whole summer to plan for any skill upgrades!

• 3 weeks later...

My boyfriend's cousin is apprenticing to be a tattoo artist, but he's already gotten contacted by people online to commission regular pencil drawings and portraits for them. He's never gone to college, and right now he's 20 years old. I think the biggest aid for him was that he put his work out on the internet for people to see, which is something you could do, even if you decided to stay in school. So I guess it's still a pretty tough decision, and one that only you can make, but sometimes it helps to try to think outside the box, and think of things that you could do to push you towards your goal, regardless of whether you decided to stay in school or not. Either way, good luck on your decision, either choice is completely valid, and it's great that you're actually thinking about it ( I know so many people who've regretted staying in school, even though they had doubts).

Why do you parents want/ expect you to get a degree, exactly?

Do they have degrees?

If so , how did they pay for their degrees?

Are they currently working in the field they studied?

If they are forcing you to get a degree by withholding love and showing  disapproval, then are they willing to pay for your degree?

Why do you parents want/ expect you to get a degree, exactly?

Do they have degrees?

If so , how did they pay for their degrees?

Are they currently working in the field they studied?

If they are forcing you to get a degree by withholding love and showing  disapproval, then are they willing to pay for your degree?

because a piece of paper can rise my value in the soceity...

My father have. He told me that he had to work parttime jobs to pay for the fees since his father did not have the resource it. Yup, he is working in the same field. They are paying everything which Im glad.

because a piece of paper can rise my value in the soceity...

My father have. He told me that he had to work parttime jobs to pay for the fees since his father did not have the resource it. Yup, he is working in the same field. They are paying everything which Im glad.

Before I address anything, have you tried to get any type of design work on your own? In other words, have you dipped your toe into the pool to see if you like the field you want to study in? Have you tried redesigning a menu that is hard to read, or sketch out an alternative steering wheel and dashboard for an automobile? Both of those, are in fact a type of UI. This is a decent book in the filed of UI, even though it doesn't necessarily address mobile desktop design, it does address the thinking behind the things people use everyday.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Psychology-Of-Everyday-Things/dp/0465067093

I don't want to come across as being adversarial or contradictory to the information you are receiving, but a piece of paper/diploma does not necessarily raise your value in a society. However, it might increase your value in some, but not all areas with enough employment opportunities that will allow you to survive in the current economic conditions, or it might not. 

I'm not knocking pieces of paper, or certificates or degrees. After all, I went to school for a BFA degree 20 years ago.It is worth mentioning that I've done work for a variety of high profile companies, and not one ever asked to see my degree, they only wanted to see my portfolio, or tested me on the spot to see if I could do the work.

In order to get work as an artist/designer/ UI designer all you need is a portfolio of great work that shows real world examples relevant to the business/company you want to work with, either on a staff or freelance basis.

lynda.com offers certificates of completion that you can save to prove that you have completed a course, and a premium subscription can give you access to files that can help you to create your own real word projects, all for about $400 for an entire year of full time study. For the price of one year's worth of an undergraduate degree (anywhere from $10,000-40,000 per year)  you can get a great computer that can run the entire Adobe Master Collection, and a subscription to lynda.com, AND probably a couple of decent continuing education courses at a reputable art/design school, or even some less expensive online programs . (I'm thinking "full sail university" or the http://new.artinstitutes.edu, something along those lines)

Let me know if this is useful, or the most annoying crap you've ever read. : )

Either way, best of luck in YOUR decision.

Before I address anything, have you tried to get any type of design work on your own? In other words, have you dipped your toe into the pool to see if you like the field you want to study in? Have you tried redesigning a menu that is hard to read, or sketch out an alternative steering wheel and dashboard for an automobile? Both of those, are in fact a type of UI. This is a decent book in the filed of UI, even though it doesn't necessarily address mobile desktop design, it does address the thinking behind the things people use everyday.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Psychology-Of-Everyday-Things/dp/0465067093

I don't want to come across as being adversarial or contradictory to the information you are receiving, but a piece of paper/diploma does not necessarily raise your value in a society. However, it might increase your value in some, but not all areas with enough employment opportunities that will allow you to survive in the current economic conditions, or it might not. 

I'm not knocking pieces of paper, or certificates or degrees. After all, I went to school for a BFA degree 20 years ago.It is worth mentioning that I've done work for a variety of high profile companies, and not one ever asked to see my degree, they only wanted to see my portfolio, or tested me on the spot to see if I could do the work.

In order to get work as an artist/designer/ UI designer all you need is a portfolio of great work that shows real world examples relevant to the business/company you want to work with, either on a staff or freelance basis.

lynda.com offers certificates of completion that you can save to prove that you have completed a course, and a premium subscription can give you access to files that can help you to create your own real word projects, all for about $400 for an entire year of full time study. For the price of one year's worth of an undergraduate degree (anywhere from $10,000-40,000 per year)  you can get a great computer that can run the entire Adobe Master Collection, and a subscription to lynda.com, AND probably a couple of decent continuing education courses at a reputable art/design school, or even some less expensive online programs . (I'm thinking "full sail university" or the http://new.artinstitutes.edu, something along those lines)

Let me know if this is useful, or the most annoying crap you've ever read. : )

Either way, best of luck in YOUR decision.

During high school, I got interest in web design and around that time, I also started to learn photoshop. During senior year, the school finally have some digital media course, where I learnt the three most essential Adobe software and really like it (not so much for indesign though). Sometimes, I sketch UI concepts just to fullfill my imagnation, but it rarely look nice when I convert it into digital...

During high school, I got interest in web design and around that time, I also started to learn photoshop. During senior year, the school finally have some digital media course, where I learnt the three most essential Adobe software and really like it (not so much for indesign though). Sometimes, I sketch UI concepts just to fullfill my imagnation, but it rarely look nice when I convert it into digital...

Those software packages can be difficult to learn for many people. That you are already grasping the "big 3" Photoshop/ Illustrator/ InDesign in high school could be a really great advantage for you if that is something you might like to pursue. We can go into the advantages later if that's something you want to discuss.

As you probably know, Photoshop is a very powerful program with hundreds of different ways to achieve the same task. Some are ore efficient that others, and that is why it can be so difficult to master.  To truly understand the program (and the rest of Adobe's software) and use it with any degree of efficiency is a challenge. In order to use any of those software packages with any degree of competence can take patience and fortitude to understand, let alone use them with speed and competence that would make you valuable to a company or client in the future. If that's something you'd like to do.

It is also worth mentioning that the traditional design, drawing, painting, photography, composition, animation, and usability skills required to create things with any software often requires an additional layer of unique skill sets and abilities. 

I mention this because you might be experiencing difficulty transferring those UX designs/sketches to digital because there are certain design principles, skills and knowledge that might not be foundational to the original sketches. It's hard to say for sure since this that is another topic altogether.

This next few questions I have might appear to be completely off the topic with regard to what you're going to do with your life at this stage...but I think they might be helpful for you to think about, or not.

You mentioned that you became interested in web design and Adobe software in high school. That made me wonder if your parents ever take an interest in you when you were a child growing up. Did they? 

Did they spend time with you? Did they ever ask you questions about what you like about a particular game, or what you like about the way a website is laid out?

When you were a child, did they play with you?  Did they ever take interest in helping you to uncover the deeper layers and foundations of the things you were interested in? 

To get back to your original post, are you still feeling pressure from your parents to go get a college degree simply because they have a college degree?

Lastly, (and this is important)  If you were to go to college, would you be living at home or would you be living near college or on the college campus?

Those software packages can be difficult to learn for many people. That you are already grasping the "big 3" Photoshop/ Illustrator/ InDesign in high school could be a really great advantage for you if that is something you might like to pursue. We can go into the advantages later if that's something you want to discuss.

As you probably know, Photoshop is a very powerful program with hundreds of different ways to achieve the same task. Some are ore efficient that others, and that is why it can be so difficult to master.  To truly understand the program (and the rest of Adobe's software) and use it with any degree of efficiency is a challenge. In order to use any of those software packages with any degree of competence can take patience and fortitude to understand, let alone use them with speed and competence that would make you valuable to a company or client in the future. If that's something you'd like to do.

It is also worth mentioning that the traditional design, drawing, painting, photography, composition, animation, and usability skills required to create things with any software often requires an additional layer of unique skill sets and abilities. 

I mention this because you might be experiencing difficulty transferring those UX designs/sketches to digital because there are certain design principles, skills and knowledge that might not be foundational to the original sketches. It's hard to say for sure since this that is another topic altogether.

This next few questions I have might appear to be completely off the topic with regard to what you're going to do with your life at this stage...but I think they might be helpful for you to think about, or not.

You mentioned that you became interested in web design and Adobe software in high school. That made me wonder if your parents ever take an interest in you when you were a child growing up. Did they? 

Did they spend time with you? Did they ever ask you questions about what you like about a particular game, or what you like about the way a website is laid out?

When you were a child, did they play with you?  Did they ever take interest in helping you to uncover the deeper layers and foundations of the things you were interested in? 

To get back to your original post, are you still feeling pressure from your parents to go get a college degree simply because they have a college degree?

Lastly, (and this is important)  If you were to go to college, would you be living at home or would you be living near college or on the college campus?

Thinking about it, they rarely discuss any of my hobbles unless I approach them and tell them what it is about. They always tells me that my hobbles should not interfere my education (University). Even now, which I recantly won a logo contest in a crowd source website, my dad always says the same, telling me to concentrate on the education. I knew winning this contest is a step towards my career, not any kind of hobbles. When I got interest in those hobbles during high school, they did ask me if I want to take any courses during the summer, but I told them I will learn it on my own. Have the fear of taking classes...

About the video games, they never ask why I want to play. They view it as wasting time...

In the first year of university, I was living in dorms which I had a great time even though I rarely interact with many people besides my roommates and a few people next door. Last semester, I return home and I stopped talking to almost everyone. I want to go out and hang out with people, but I will have to talk a 30min bus ride to get there (school) which is something I dont like.

Not pressure, but guilt not to complete a degree.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.