Other Podcast Suggestions

Microwave

So at work I'm allowed to listen to podcasts, and I've pretty much grinded through every episode of everything I'm subscribed to. I'll post below my subscriptions so you can get an idea of what I'm interested in, but basically anything that's somewhat entertaining and that'll make me think. I'd really appreciate other suggestions. Thanks!

Freedomain Radio (of course)

Hardcore History

Common Sense 

The Thinking Atheist

Stuff You Should Know

I haven't been listening to anything lately but i can give some suggestions on some podcast i use to listen a few months ago. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

To keep up to date with technology: TechStuff & CarStuff 

To learn about interesting economic concepts: Freakonomics podcast 

To keep up to date with video games: Podcast Beyond 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a limit to what I can listen to before trying to apply some of the knowledge i gained to better my life.  :)

A few of my favorites:

Already mentioned, School Sucks. Great show. Guy has a nice voice.The Jason Lewis Show

- IMO the best terrestrial talk show around. Lewis is for practical purposes a volunteerist, but to maintain credibility with his core audience -libertarian conservative religious types- he plays the role of minarchist. A good show to stay up to date on current events. 

This American Life

- high production value with interesting human experience stories. Unfortunately they only list the last few shows for free now. It used to be you could get shows from years ago in the archives, but they now make you pay for that service.

Radio Lab

- another high quality NPR production. The show mixes science with the humam experience.

honorable mention

Modern Manners Guy

- silly and fun show about the rituals of navigating thru the maze of culture exectations

I've enjoyed listening to the Dr. Drew podcast. He is very skeptical of the psychiatric industry and the reliance on medication. I remember him explicitly saying that all serious addicts have a history of childhood trauma and it is fascinating to listen to him go into depth with people's personal lives very intelligently from a medical perspective.

Doug Stanhope's podcast is very funny even if he does tend to glamourize alcoholism. He has been open in his criticism of Dr. Drew for strongly advocating for a fundamentally religious program in AA.

What do you do that allows you to listen to podcasts at work? I would be so much more caught up if I had that luxury!

Thanks for all the great suggestions; I've subscribed to each one, and will give each a test run to see how I like it. 

Btw, I do restoration work on houses after fires, floods, mold, etc. Most of the time though I'm in a warehouse cleaning everything from the damaged house and preparing it to go back to the house after reconstruction. Listening to podcasts at work is great because the time goes by quicker and I'm basically getting paid to learn.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.