Gringo Loco: How the State Destroys Our Reputation Abroad

Josh F

I wanted to share a little insight my girlfriend provided me with this afternoon.  There is a popular and common phrase in latin America, Gringo Loco.  To the uninitiated, this means a Crazy American.  My girlfriend made a fantastic observation about the type of people who comprise this definition.  She realized they are almost exclusively veterans, government pensioners, and/or government disability recipients.  They can be found, sometimes by the dozens, in every town and city across central and south America.  And I suspect this trend continues into Asia and the rest of the world.  

Characteristically they are sometimes drug addicts and/or sex addicts, and always just creepy and socially awkward.  In the hostel I am staying in right now we are blessed with two such people who fit this definition.  Its almost hilarious if it wasn't so sad. 

The worse thing is that as a traveler I have to almost prove that I'm not insane to everyone I meet.  Its sick to think about though; that the family, society, and government especially of the United States have created a swarm of broken humans wandering the earth, completely unable to connect with anyone they meet.  

Its sick to think about though; that the family, society, and government especially of the United States have created a swarm of broken humans wandering the earth, completely unable to connect with anyone they meet.  

Society and government are a reflection of the family. I wanted to make sure credit was given where credit was due. The people you're referring to were broken by their parents. What the State did to them was secondary. We mustn't let people of any country think anything collectively of people in any other country because countries don't exist. It's the effect of family not teaching children that proximity does not equal virtue because it would undermine the artificial affection they expect for just being the parent.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.