Bieber Bath or As Long As God Has Your Back....

Many Celebrities have "come to Jesus" moments after public controversy. Michael Vick "found" Jesus after his dog-fighting passion became public. Paris Hilton "found God" after a stint in jail for a driving offense. Lindsey Lohan became "a very spiritual person" reading the Bible in rehab. Tiger Woods, when caught in his marital infidelity pledged to rededicate himself to Buddhism. Mike Tyson embraced Islam in prison.  Tom Cruise  probably had an audit or two when he "acted out" on Oprah. And the latest name added to this curious list is the Belieber himself. Justin Bielber, after months  of bad press, arrests, drug confiscation, recently got baptized in a bath tub in NYC . Carl Lentz  the“celebrity pastor” of the Hillsong New York City evangelical church, has helped the boy wonder see the light and come back to the Lord after his public image took a dive.I could easily just focus on the snark and PR coup his agents and handlers are no doubt arranging as they try to salvage this kid for the money maker he has been, and needs to be for years to come.   But I'm sad for the fella. He comes from a broken home, He doesn't appear to  have any positive adult or peer role models and real friends. The last thing in the world this kid needs is religion. Its a band-aid on a compound fracture. 

Does anybody remember Mark Sanford, former governor of South Carolina,  who was caught using taxpayer money to support his affair with an Argentinian mistress?  In his stump speech during his run for congress in 2013,  and in his victory speech included the line, “I just want to acknowledge a God not just of second chances, but of third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth chances.”How insulting is this to the real people in these celebrities lives? Let alone their fans.And what exactly is the underline message of "Only God can judge me?" It seems to nullify any inquiry or attempt for the individual to recieve feedback.

As memory serves I cannot think of a single celebrity who's used athiesm as a salve for the public's scrutiny of their personal behavior.  

"Only God can judge me" is an attempt by someone who feels guilty about an immoral act he has committed to shift the blame from himself to others, especially when they openly and rationally condemn him. Rather than accept responsibility for his actions, he wants to wish it away by accepting that he is to blame while simultaneously blaming others for describing his past. Without delving any further, this is already a blatant contradiction because if only God can judge him, there is no reason why that shouldn't be applied universally, especially, although not necessarily, if he accepts that every person is equally morally responsible. Therefore, he cannot rationally judge others for judging him, and morality as a whole breaks down despite accepting the validity of morality.

This doesn't even account for the fact that gods are defined with self-contradictory characteristics and, as a result, cannot exist. Thus, his claim that only God can judge him breaks down to, "No one can judge me," which also breaks down to, "It is universally preferable that no one describes anyone's actions using universally preferable behavior." The intentions of this are to not only shift responsibility, but also to avoid justice (i.e. paying restitution, returning stolen property, etc.).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.