Any easy way to download premium content?

MattGrimes

I've put off listening to any of the premium content due to seemingly uneasy way in which it must be done, and in deciding today to try and figure it out  it seems that the only means is to click each individual podcast then clicking 'save as' on the download link. I have done about 5 and the last 10 minutes or so (my internet is being quite slow), though at this pace the 160 that I would like to download will take me at least a few hours clicking back and forth and saving each file. Is there any kind of feed for say the 'bronze podcasts' or 'gold podcasts' or is this my best option (I just don't want to spend a few hours doing this only to realize that there was a feed for these somewhere that I overlooked).

I don't believe there is any other way. The links to the mp3's seem to be dynamically generated on the fly to ensure security, so that you can't just link someone else to that podcast regardless of their donation level.

They are definitely worth a listen.

And you can listen to them in your browser. You don't need to listen to them in iTunes or anything like that. And if it's on a smartphone, you can use any browser that supports flash and it should be swell.

The podcast will also play via the Download link on an iOS device. The mobile version does not (currently) have an embedded player.

Kev, feeling frisky? If you give me the code for a mobile MP3 player, I can try to work it into that template. If the code that is on the main pages would work, then I'll try adapting that to the mobile version.

The mobile version of the board needs a bit more lovin'...

Kev, feeling frisky? If you give me the code for a mobile MP3 player, I can try to work it into that template. If the code that is on the main pages would work, then I'll try adapting that to the mobile version.

You know me, I'm always feelin' frisky ;)

Yea, I'll throw something together.

Kevin & James,

Is there a mobile-specific version of the premimum content board? I can't find how to access it other than manually entering board.freedomainradio.com/files, however this page isn't very optimized for mobile ATM, and the podcasts do not transfer to quicktime too well (does not list length or position; just a play button basically).

edit: Yeah it's struggling pretty hard. I cannot view the time nor drag the slider to a new area, and the podcast has mysteriously restarted for the 3rd time (I think it's happened after I lock the phone and then attempt to unlock it or if I leave Safari and come back to it it will restart). I apologize for my ineptness :( I'd love to help you guys out but I do not (yet) have the technical skills to be of any value.

edit 2: Actually it's not even something that clear cut. My phone was just sitting in my pocket untouched with the screen locked and off and the podcast just restarted :(

I'd recommend a download manager for your problem. This way you can click the links to queue them and not have to sit there to initiate each download as the previous one completes.

Chrome: Chrono

Firefox: Flashgot

You have to use a browser based one instead of a standalone client due to the authentication mechanism. Chrono has a lot of annoying features so you may want to configure things a bit to make it more usable but it will do what you need, just make sure to change the max concurrent downloads to 1 in order to get each podcast as quickly as possible.

• 1 month later...

I am unable to download premium content. I have access to the bronze section and plan to subscribe to a higher level, but am unable to download using ipad(no XML option), ipod, and macbook. On the ipad I can not download, and when I click the download button the player page comes up but the audio resets every few minuets. On the laptop the audio does not reset and I am able to listen but can not download. I would like to load some to the ipod so I can listen when I am away from home. Will someone please help me with what the process is to download bronze content? Has anyone here used an ipad or macbook to download premium content? If so what was the process? It was suggested to me to try Atomic and check my browser settings, I have checked the settings and tried Atomic to no avail. If anyone can provide any help whatsoever I will be very gratefull. Thank you to all who have welcomed me to the board and have attempted to help so far.

Brian

• 4 weeks later...

Here's something that will make all other problems in this thread seem small, I dont have access to ANY of the premium content... because I don't know where it is :( After donating, Stef sent me a message indicating I could log in and there would be a link near the top of the page, but I don't see it. I'm sure I'm just missing something here... Can anyone help me out on this? I tried searching the term "premium" in the podcast search area thing and the only one that came up was the You Are Full of Treasure Podcast. Also, not sure if it matters but ALL my internet browsings are done on a Nexus 5 android phone so maybe the layout for the site is just different. Either way I have no idea how to access the gold, silver and bronze stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's something that will make all other problems in this thread seem small, I dont have access to ANY of the premium content... because I don't know where it is :( After donating, Stef sent me a message indicating I could log in and there would be a link near the top of the page, but I don't see it. I'm sure I'm just missing something here... Can anyone help me out on this? I tried searching the term "premium" in the podcast search area thing and the only one that came up was the You Are Full of Treasure Podcast. Also, not sure if it matters but ALL my internet browsings are done on a Nexus 5 android phone so maybe the layout for the site is just different. Either way I have no idea how to access the gold, silver and bronze stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

There is no access to premium content on the mobile site AFAIK. You have to do it on a desktop. It's not easy to set it up for mobile, unfortunately.

You may be able to get to a download button and download it to your phone, playing it in some other app. Here's the link.

Hmmm well thanks a ton Kevin thats definitely a step in the right direction, I can use the link you provided to VIEW all the gold, silver and bronze content (titles, descriptions)... So I click the latest gold podcast and it takes me to a section where I can see comments on the podcast, and there's a "download" link which I click and my browser then brings up a download dialogue for a split second before it says "Download Failed". It might just be my phone though, I don't get very good reception at all where I currently am so I bookmarked the link and I'll try it again when I fight a better area.

Also just wondering, slightly off topic so sorry about that, is there any other content above gold level donator status? ie: Platinum podcasts?

• 4 weeks later...

I am unable to download premium content. I have access to the bronze section and plan to subscribe to a higher level, but am unable to download using ipad(no XML option), ipod, and macbook. On the ipad I can not download, and when I click the download button the player page comes up but the audio resets every few minuets. On the laptop the audio does not reset and I am able to listen but can not download. I would like to load some to the ipod so I can listen when I am away from home. Will someone please help me with what the process is to download bronze content? Has anyone here used an ipad or macbook to download premium content? If so what was the process? It was suggested to me to try Atomic and check my browser settings, I have checked the settings and tried Atomic to no avail. If anyone can provide any help whatsoever I will be very gratefull. Thank you to all who have welcomed me to the board and have attempted to help so far.Brian

I would like to update my post. I am still unable to download bronze and silver podcasts to listen on the iPad or iPod. With the ios8 update the iPad is doing something a little different, I am not sure if something here changed or if it is the ios8 update. Now when I click the green 'download' button a different screen pops up as the player, instead of the black screen with the small player in the middle with the play button, I now get a totally black screen with some sort of line across the whole screen with the word 'live' at the bottom left hand side of the screen. Now the podcasts do not reset after a minuet or so, they play for about 10-15 minuets before resetting. I think the best way for me to figure this out is to find someone who is able to download or listen to the premium content on an iPad. So, has anyone here attempted to, or been successful in listening to or downloading premium content on an iPod or iPad? If you have an iPad and have not attempted it recently, do you mind attempting to download or listen to the premium content and letting me know what you experience? If anyone with access to an iPad could do this and report back here your findings I would be certainly grateful for your time. Thanks for any help whatsoever.Brian

I do have an iPad, I'll try it out... but if you're actually downloading the file to the iPad to play, I really don't understand why you'd have problems with this and not with regular mp3s as well.

Thank you so much James! I am anxious to see what you report back.

Also worth checking: are you using the default browser (Safari) or some other app to access premium content on the iPad?

I was listening to one via the embedded player and, as I was typing this, it just cut off in mid-sentence. It was somewhere around 10 minutes but I suspect it probably stopped loading at a certain number of bytes. It looks like that player does NOT work well with Safari on the iPad.

Let's see what happens with that green button, and then I'll go seeing if this is a known issue with this particular software and iPads.

And I think I see... if it doesn't realize it's receiving a file, but it thinks it's some kind of mp3 stream, that could be problematic...

So I changed the MIME type for mp3 files. The iPad didn't seem to change, but Chrome changed its behavior...

(Still listening)

And it also happens in Safari on a Mac. So, at least it's broken the same way in several places...

After digging for some time, I found that the board software was responding incorrectly to the request from Safari and Chrome. I've fixed it and verified it on my end. Let me know if things are working for you now.

Note that downloading the file doesn't auto-play anymore, but that kind of makes sense. It will also allow you to seek with the embedded player as well, though it's not very precise.

I've also submitted a patch to the vendor since it was a bug in their system. We'll see if they accept it (not all vendors like people sending in patches).

James, I can not thank you enough for taking the time to help me, and investigate this issue I have been having. I can't wait to finally enjoy the premium content! I really like the seek feature you added, because I have listened to the beginning of all of the bronze podcasts.lol. Thank you,thank you!

J-William, thanks for the info and the suggestion, I will check that out and see if that helps me as far as downloading the premium podcasts to listen to away from home. Have you tried using lite or similar to download the premium podcasts for listening to away from an Internet connection?

I am excited and very thankful for the help with this!!

• 1 month later...

There is a great iOS app called Filer which lets you download the mp3s and play back, not to mention zip files and others that can be tricky when using a mobile device. The free version of Filer allows for 3 files stored but I purchased the full version for $1.99 I think and it's well worth it. It also has dropbpx integration, highly recommended solution!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.