Conctraception mandate supporters: "Women will die without birth control."

Alan C.

Yeah, very disingenuous...

Three questions jump to mind,

How many women actually want this sort of birth control but can't afford it?

How much would it cost to provide them with this service?

How much is being spent lobbying government for it?

After a few google searches, I saw that EC (morning after pill, an abortifacients, cost between $35 and $65 per dose.  If you are going broke buying this stuff, you probably have bigger problems than your shitty job at Hobby Lobby.

I would like to share a super amazing secret that will solve all of these dumb peoples' concerns. There is a free form of birth control that no one has ever told you about... you will be amazed at just how simple, yet effective, it really is... it's called... "don't let a man blow his load up inside your vagina."

• Upvote 4

Would it be true that they actually pay for the birth control through their insurance plan that is offered in their contract with Hobby Lobby?

If their insurance no longer covers birth control but in their contract they are making more money by not having to pay more for insurance, what actually changes?

I would understand the issue if birth control was no longer covered but paid the same in insurance, but I do not see why religious groups or women activists need to be so involved.

Did they not read the bill. If the companies refuse to pay for contraception, the cost is to be borne by the insurance company. None of these straw men and disasters are on the table, what happens is that the insurance company simply raises its rates for everyone else.

• Upvote 1

Shirgall is right.  The law requires that all customers (all citizens) inevitably subsidize birth control.  In the face of Obamacare, this ruling is rather irrelevant; symbolic.

The argument is, nonetheless, hilarious: "I have the right to force my employer to buy me birth control!"  or, "I have a right to force wealthier people to pay for my babies and non-babies!"

Don't worry, ladies-- the progressives will make sure everyone has plenty of birth control.  How else will they reduce the population and save the earth?

Sure, great -- Hobby Lobby gets out of directly subsidizing birth control in insurance plans offered to employees because the owner has the time and money to take his case all the way to the Supreme Court.  And good for him, he stuck to his principles.  

Meanwhile, the rest of "We the Slaves" are still forced to pay for it through higher premiums and / or higher taxes.  Totally sick.

some people use contraceptives for medical reasons other than birth control, sebelias made that argument in her arguments.

i'ts not like products have 1 use only and can be used for nothing else.

free market for healthcare is going to save a lot more lives than what the government is doing.

I would like to share a super amazing secret that will solve all of these dumb peoples' concerns. There is a free form of birth control that no one has ever told you about... you will be amazed at just how simple, yet effective, it really is... it's called... "don't let a man blow his load up inside your vagina."

You can even take it one step further to ensure birth does not happen - abstain from sex. Why is that so difficult? If the ante is too high, sit the game out. The trouble is there's a moral hazard that was created by the state getting involved. If a woman is impregnated by accident, and no one is willing to financially plan around it, the state is there with its guns ready to imprison the father if he doesn't pay up. It really is a win/win scenario for women compared to what happened historically before advancement in prenatal medical care (~20% death rate resulting from pregnancy).

It's so weird. I mean, most people would say that if someone wants to have kids but has a medical condition preventing it, then health insurance should cover medication to fix that. But obviously insurance can't cover that AND cover birth control pills.

These people must picture an insurance contract saying "if you have medical condition xyz, then we'll give you money; and if you don't, then we'll give you money!"

• Upvote 1

some people use contraceptives for medical reasons other than birth control, sebelias made that argument in her arguments.

But Hobby Lobby only refused to fund abortifacients, not things like "the pill" which people can use to regulate their periods. While it's true that RU-485 can be used to treat Cushing's Disease, I'm not sure Hobby Lobby is refusing to pay for THAT prescribed use.

And I'm all for cheap, safe, effective birth control -- even the morning after pill RU485 -- I have no moral issue with that (as I do have with a late term abortion where a baby is trying desperately to avoid the fatal instrument in kicking, screaming survival mode).

But I damn well don't want to pay for it!  And I also don't have enough money and time to fight it in the courts.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.