Brad is happy to be here!

Bradj545

Hello, everyone

I am new to the message board, but I've been watching the YouTube videos for several months.  I decided to come to the community to get right to the source.

I am not in a financial position to donate right now, though I hope that will change.  Stefan has said on several podcasts that he'd rather get a nice letter than a 'stinking' one-dollar donation!  So, I'm writing to extend my thanks for the dose of philosophy.

Before I get into the personal information, I'd like to make a request or a wish.  To the best of my knowledge, Stefan has never debated with Slavoj Zizek and I'd dearly love to see that debate.  I think it would be 'spirited', to say the least.  I watch Zizek's videos on YouTube occasionally, and I think he's fun to listen to, but I disagree with most of Zizek's thinking.  

Okay, on to me.  I am American, living in the town of Willmar, Minnesota.  I've been married to Nancy for 26 years now, and we have one child, our son Drake who's now 21.  I work an overnight shift in a shipping warehouse, and my wife is a payroll accountant for the same company.  Recently, I earned my bachelor's degree online, and I went on to graduate school, also online, a year ago.  My major is Humanities, with a focus on Creative Writing.  I've decided that I want to be a writer, an urge that I've been playing with for years, and I realize that I chose the hardest and most expensive way possible to learn to write.  In grad school, though, I had an important encounter.  My school is very big on philosophy, starting in the course "Introduction to Graduate Humanities".  With every class and semester, the focus on philosophy has deepened.  I found myself so interested in the subject that I started gathering information beyond that which was included in class.  I have started a list of philosophers to look into and it includes such names as Foucault, Derrida, Hume, Hegel, Adorno, Kant and so on.  What I feel is that I've brushed up against a subject that will be of huge value to me as I go on in my life and my pursuit of meaningful subjects to write about.  During this time, I watched a Slavoj Zizek video where he posed a rhetorical question; "What philosophers do we have in our current time?".  I found Free Domain Radio as a result of that question.

Also, through the podcasts, I've learned that Stefan and I have some similar experiences and enthusiasms:  music, Dungeons & Dragons (which I still play very occasionally), and of course, writing novels.  I also grew up in a deeply dysfunctional home, with a 'batshit crazy' mother.   I don't feel that I can tackle philosophical subjects quite yet, but in my fantasy world (for writing about, not that I'm living in a fantasy!) there are some comments that I feel that I can make on what Stefan calls "The Blind Photocopier of History" and the 'death of statism'.  

Once again, a big thanks to Stefan for what he does.  I look forward to conversations on these boards!

Sincerely,

Brad

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.