Rape Culture

NeoCortex

Imagine an action movie.

The protagonist kills a bunch of people, no one cares. Imagine the protagonist raped a bunch of people, people would be outraged. This shows that people are more outraged by rape. As well, the average person can think of reasons that murder would be justified, such as self-defense, but most people agree rape is always wrong.

This means if rape was a "Culture", that there would be a huge murder culture too. But me and my friends have never sat around discussing the murders we have done/want to do. 

If there is a rape culture, then there's an even bigger murder culture. This means that almost all crimes have a "Culture", meaning that using the word "Culture" to specify rape is pretty much meaningless.

As well, the first step in philosophy is to define words by their proper definition and culture is defined as:

the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.

​Rape is not intellectual achievement, it is a physical act, so "Rape culture" is impossible.

This is how I explain the illusion of "Rape Culture" to the average person. Their rebuttal is usually something about 1 in 3 men being a rapist yadda yadda yadda. In one ear and out the other.

Yeah it bothers me.  What can you say about the modern feminist movement?  They are the most pathetic breed of sadists.  They group up and prey upon a weak & singled out target the moment they smell blood.

Yea by their logic we can just copy paste the word culture after each word. People trow these words out like it should actually represent a group of people that defends rape with tooth and nail. 

Combinations of words that have no basis in reality are a sign of propaganda and should make you cringe. They are without logic, without reason, and anti empirical.

A few examples: social contract, hate speech, social justice, structural violence, patriotic duty, social security, food desert, patriarchal society, etc.

If anyone drops the rape culture bomb on you, the simplest way to disarm it is to ask them if they've ever been raped or at least sexually assaulted. Odds are that they have not been raped and they may refuse to answer any questions. If they are so convinced that there is a culture of rape that is constantly threatening them, there should be some empirical data backing their contentions up. I can cite at least five examples off the top of my head where I was sexually assaulted by women. Twice by strangers, one of which may have been a transsexual woman, and three instances of aggression by friends or lovers. Most men, including myself, have a diminished capacity to process this kind of abuse because we are instantly stigmatized if we happen to be the victims.

On the other hand, I have never been sexually assaulted by a man. Try telling your story to other people and see if they can put down the dogma for a second and find compassion for you. I bet they will start off by laughing at you. Then, when you persist, they will try to leave the conversation or change the topic on you. If they are truly compassionate for rape and sexual assault victims, they will hear you out.

This is just another radfem invention which attempts to convince people there's a link between peoples attitude towards rape and the actual incidence of it in society. You can rarely reason with feminists on this issue because to discuss this topic and not be completely in agreement with them is often labelled as rape apology, it's a sickening tactic which thankfully doesn't work with most rational people.

If you can get into a rational debate with a feminist over this, it's best to argue in the same way it's best to argue everything else, simply ask them to back up their assertion that rape culture leads to a greater incidence of rape, ask for peer reviewed scientific studies.

So everyone can see what a feminist definition of rape culture is, here's a link:  http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/03/examples-of-rape-culture/

To quote from the article:

We know that at its core, our society is not something that outwardly promotes rape, as the phrase could imply. That is, we don’t, after all, “commonly engage” in sexual violence “together as a society.”

To understand rape culture better, first we need to understand that it’s not necessarily a society or group of people that outwardly promotes rape (although it could be).

When we talk about rape culture, we’re discussing something more implicit than that. We’re talking about cultural practices (that, yes, we commonly engage in together as a society) that excuse or otherwise tolerate sexual violence.

Even feminists are admitting that we don't commonly engage in sexual violence as a society, nor do we outwardly promote rape.

The article goes on to cite a bunch of examples of stories and behaviors that range from the annoyingly impolite to the criminal. There can be shitty things in society happening without there being a "rape culture".   If anyone wants, I can knock those down point by point, but I don't want this to be excessively tl;dr.  :)

What always pissed me off, even when I was a feminist and especially as a sexual assault survivor, about the whole rape culture thing is that it reduces women to their sexual organs, essentially.  The worst possible violence that could happen to a woman, or happen in the world at all, is something involving her vagina.  Even the idea that it could happen is supposed to turn me into a fainting consumptive, it seems.  Brain injury?  Eh.  Become paralyzed?  Oh well.  But something happens to the hooha?  Oh my god, that must have just ruined you, you poor broken woman!  We ain't in Victorian England, ladies, and this ain't a Thomas Hardy novel.  Getting raped was awful, yes, and it was a crime.  However, it did not kill me.  I'm not, unlike a lot of injured soldiers returning from war, permanently injured, maimed, and/or in debilitating pain.   It doesn't make what happened to me not a crime and that isn't say it took a bit of time to get over, but I do not see how I should feel "empowered" by a feminism that tells me that a bunch of criminal reprobates putting their dicks somewhere I don't want ruins my entire life.  

Here is what feminists could say that I would completely support. "We live in a culture that condones violence.  That violence gets expressed toward men and women differently, and since we're women, we're more aware of and able to speak to violence as it impacts women, but our culture of violence affects all of us.  In fact, if we look at it, men -- more likely to be the victims of violent crime, more likely to die in war, less likely to receive social protection from violence -- are the ones most hurt by cultural violence.  While it is important to consider violence against women, we really need to give a platform to violence against men if we want to stop this, so we'll pass the microphone."

• Upvote 2

What always pissed me off, even when I was a feminist and especially as a sexual assault survivor, about the whole rape culture thing is that it reduces women to their sexual organs, essentially.  The worst possible violence that could happen to a woman, or happen in the world at all, is something involving her vagina.  Even the idea that it could happen is supposed to turn me into a fainting consumptive, it seems. 

Yes, it always had me stumped at the sheer heights the crime of rape has been placed in the minds of feminists. Even beyond murder or torture that eventaully ends in death are sometimes considered as lesser crimes by comparison. I now think this is just a biological reaction to the possibilty of raising the children of a man who wont be providing any resources for you and whose genes you never wanted your children to be a part of.

By the way, I'm very sorry to hear about the assault that happened to you Matsisyra and welcome to the boards.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.