Save $20,000 on Therapy by Buying a $20 Journal

Hey everybody! I would like to share with you my latest blog post where I write about the importance of journaling, and how to use the practice as a gateway to self knowledge. Your thoughts and feedback would be much appreciated, especially if you are even more well versed in journaling than I am and would like to add aspects of it to the post in a form of leaving a comment either here, or preferably on the blog post page.

Save $20,000 on Therapy by Buying a $20 Journal

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The link doesn't lead to anything. Did some editing happen since you posted this?

Do you mean it leads to a dead page or the article itself didn't lead to anything substantial in the end?

This is unhelpful and dangerous advice.

Tell me more. What did you find unhelpful and dangerous about it, JamesP?

I'm working on completely rewriting it right now, so depending on the time anyone clicks on the link, it may not reflect the old incarnation that received all the negative criticism that prompted me to rewrite in the first place. Any feedback on either incarnation will still be greatly appreciated!

The link does not work, I get this message when I click your link.

"

Not Found

Apologies, but the page you requested could not be found. Perhaps searching will help"

I think maybe you forgot to publish it in your wp-admin, and still have it in draft status where only you, the admin, can see it?

I'm very sorry, RJ... I did not read the post as it was before, and when I came back to this thread later, I couldn't see it via the link.

I've deleted my earlier post (though it can obviously be seen in your quote above). I definitely got triggered by the hook, but the post on your blog is just fine.

I've seen so many people trying to say that journaling is "good enough" or that all you really need are good friends instead of going to therapy, but that isn't anywhere in your post. Again, I'm very sorry.

• Upvote 1

Hm I am now curious James, why would you be quick to criticize something based on its title as opposed to looking at the content? I sense people you know have made the claim that journaling and good friends is better than therapy. What's your history with that?

As I'm fairly new at this blogging thing, I came here with the utmost humility and vulnerability, ready to accept any constructive criticism, and felt like the FDR boards was a safe place for that. But then I read your comment and I was immediately concerned if I did something wrong. My mind filled with assumptions like is he just saying that because the title makes a strong claim, or was there really unhelpful and dangerous advice in my article? I had to edit my post to remove those assumptions and opted for an open ended question instead because I didn't want to make an ass out of u and me. 

It's a personal pet peeve of mine when people criticize my work before they even finish reading it, let alone read it at all. I don't know if any other artists or writers are like that, but that's the way I am. I think it's kind of unhelpful and dangerous to give feedback without looking at the actual content. That would be like a therapist offering advice without having listened to their patient.

Fortunately I got a few people to read it over, including my brother, who did end up pointing out where the original article may have been unhelpful and then decided to rewrite most of it based on their feedback.

Yeah, in the time between seeing the title and clicking on the link I’d already formulated some pretty negative expectations.

Similar to James, I've seen a lot of people ( including myself at one time) who wouldn't entertain the idea of therapy,

but had a plethora of quick fix 'alternatives'...

That did really overshadow the post for me the first time around, but on re-reading it a few times can see what you're getting at. Indeed reckon journaling before and during therapy could actually save you quite a bit money,

in terms of using the time most effectively and getting more out of it.

Must admit I'm still a bit confused by the choice of title though...

• Upvote 1

Ryan did the negativity stem from the preconceived negativity from the thread or the title itself really did provoke something in you as well, Ryan? 

Just a small explanation, I made that title as satire akin to Stefan's speech in Detroit being entitled Shocking Misogynist Defends Male Abuse or something like that. It's eye catching and disorienting and some people will either dismiss it, be curious to see how horrible it is, or be open minded to see if the title is in fact sarcastic. Better yet, Estrogen Based Parasites was also a title that can be easily misconstrued.

I just wanted to catch people's eyes but also be funny about it like I tried in the opening statements of the article. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sour_grapes

I got the impression you couldn't or wouldn't go get therapy and so were going to try and rationalize that by claiming journaling alone is just as good. I think the anger came from the fact it is such a big, difficult (and often maligned) decision for people, so it would be very tempting to readily accept such a get-out.

As I alluded to in my first post I've probably been talking myself out of therapy for 2 years...but  I'm in a position now where in a few months I'll have about an extra £200 a month free and I know I've just got to do it...no more excuses.

Still really scared though, 'What if it turns out I'm just too broke to fix?' 'What if all the therapists I find are morally subjective nobheads who tell me I should forgive my parents and 'try and see things from their perspective'?'......

Then there's the financial side, certainly in the past I've experienced a lot of short-term gratification from doing-up parts of my house (which is in a pretty tatty state of repair). Quite often the thought creeps in, 'Maybe if I just really concentrated on that, (spend £10k and easily add £30k onto the value) I'd be a lot happier/content/motivated and that'd translate into me getting a better job....then maybe do the whole therapy thing somewhere down the line....if I still think I need it'     

So yeah when I read that title my defenses really shot up.

Whoa! Hey Ryan thank you very much for your openness and vulnerability. Yeah, can't really heal our pain through external projects unless it's something creative that expresses those emotions like through art or writing imho. 

And I'm in the same boat as you. I know I need therapy, but I am in the process of finding a new job before I can do that. Hm I wonder though, within the article, was it not clear that I was not suggesting to replace therapy with simply just journaling? I really like the title, but if I could help alleviate some of the common irritation it causes people--mostly FDR users, when they see the title--by expanding a little bit in my disclaimer?

I did say there are no short cuts to self knowledge and you can't expect the same results. Should I also go on to say that you can potentially save that money doing some pre-work before going full tilt into therapy?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.