My refutation of anarchism

ParaSait

Hi! I would like to present to you my refutation of anarchism. I think I have a very sound and strong argument here, so please don't ignore it and tell me what you think.

As always, let's start with the definitions. Anarchism is the view that society is better off without rulers.
My argument is very simple. Without rulers, how are we going to measure things? I think you people completely dismiss the importance of that. So much important aspects of our society, including but not limited to mathematics, architecture, and even male bragging rights are completely dependent on the ability to accurately measure things!
If we can't have rulers, then what are we going to use? Are we going to estimate the length of things simply on our whim? How do you think this is going to happen without inaccuracies (or in the case of male bragging rights: optimistic bias), without the objective measurements that a ruler can provide to us?

I think it's absolutely ridiculous... however, any counterarguments are appreciated!
Thanks.
  • Upvote 12
  • Downvote 3

Hi! I would like to present to you my refutation of anarchism. I think I have a very sound and strong argument here, so please don't ignore it and tell me what you think.

As always, let's start with the definitions. Anarchism is the view that society is better off without rulers.
My argument is very simple. Without rulers, how are we going to measure things? I think you people completely dismiss the importance of that. So much important aspects of our society, including but not limited to mathematics, architecture, and even male bragging rights are completely dependent on the ability to accurately measure things!
If we can't have rulers, then what are we going to use? Are we going to estimate the length of things simply on our whim? How do you think this is going to happen without inaccuracies (or in the case of male bragging rights: optimistic bias), without the objective measurements that a ruler can provide to us?

I think it's absolutely ridiculous... however, any counterarguments are appreciated!
Thanks.

Yeah I agree with you completely, well we cant expect rationality from those Arachno-capitalists who study Australian economics, yep, no measuring devices at all :P

Hey good job on the post mate, I laughed my butt off :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry mate, but you base your conclusion on the assumption that one can only measure length with rulers - i.e. you consider existing technology but fail to consider possible new technologies. Rulers - as any other piece of technology - may be rendered redundant by a new technology. We already have laser based devices that can measure an object's dimensions without the use of a ruler.

Now, can you imagine a world without lasers?

• 1 month later...

Sorry mate, but you base your conclusion on the assumption that one can only measure length with rulers - i.e. you consider existing technology but fail to consider possible new technologies. Rulers - as any other piece of technology - may be rendered redundant by a new technology. We already have laser based devices that can measure an object's dimensions without the use of a ruler.

Now, can you imagine a world without lasers?

But aren't you then arguing for laser-faire?

• Upvote 2

Hi! I would like to present to you my refutation of anarchism. I think I have a very sound and strong argument here, so please don't ignore it and tell me what you think.As always, let's start with the definitions. Anarchism is the view that society is better off without rulers.My argument is very simple. Without rulers, how are we going to measure things? I think you people completely dismiss the importance of that. So much important aspects of our society, including but not limited to mathematics, architecture, and even male bragging rights are completely dependent on the ability to accurately measure things!If we can't have rulers, then what are we going to use? Are we going to estimate the length of things simply on our whim? How do you think this is going to happen without inaccuracies (or in the case of male bragging rights: optimistic bias), without the objective measurements that a ruler can provide to us?I think it's absolutely ridiculous... however, any counterarguments are appreciated!Thanks.

I just lick my finger and stick it in the air.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not going to dismiss the thread starter's concerns as an attempt at humor.  That is very non-empathetic, it's neglectful, corrupt, and quite abusive.

OP - I see that you stumbled into what many are interpreting as a series of puns built around the very serious and important topic of anarchy.  I even printed out your post, read it until I memorized it, and then looked in the mirror while reciting it as though it was my own so that I could know what it was like to be in you.  And yes, you will be receiving a package in the mail shortly as I vow to return your shoes.  Sorry but they have an extra mile of wear on them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.