Day care (Pre School) incorrectly portrayed

Ashton

1:So some people in the chat and Stef as well, portray day care as a negative enviroment, ...

2:So because you might have one bad day care, does that mean all are bad?

I've numbered your statements for convenience. 

the problem with 1 is, compared to what? Compared to a loving positive home environment daycare is extremely negative. Compared to an abusive, neglectful or indifferent environment a good daycare can be very positive. I doubt Stef or anyone in the chat would disagree with that.

2: I have not heard that argument from anyone at FDR. No one doubts that there are better and worse day cares, but that doesn't mean that any are better than good parenting.

the problem with 1 is, compared to what? Compared to a loving positive home environment daycare is extremely negative. Compared to an abusive, neglectful or indifferent environment a good daycare can be very positive. I doubt Stef or anyone in the chat would disagree with that.the problem with 1 is, compared to what? Compared to a loving positive home environment daycare is extremely negative. Compared to an abusive, neglectful or indifferent environment a good daycare can be very positive. I doubt Stef or anyone in the chat would disagree with that.

so how much would this loving positive homecare environment cost, compared to a  good daycare?

What relevance does your question have? A gallon of bleach is cheap, are you going to give it to a kid instead of milk?

if people put their children in daycare because otherwise they can't feed their children, then is it not relevant?

the financial situation of a this family means they have to get revenue from somewhere, without using a daycare as a way to make revenue by taking advantage of oppurtunity cost and competitive advantage.

i don't think bleach is comparable to a good daycare. bleach will kill a person if the person drinks bleach, a daycare won't kill a child. i'm not sure how good given milk to a child would be, there is mothers milk, but that only lasts so long till the child is weaned, but animal milk is not the same as giving good water or something else.

if the family can't afford to buy either bleach or milk, they can't feed the child milk, and can't use bleach to clean up.

so the financial comparison of survival mode vs thrive mode, in daycare or not in daycare matters because people put their children in daycare for reasons that include financial.

if we are seeing a corralation between bad situations for kids and poverty, that is something that matters.

If people need to put their children in daycare because otherwise they can't feed them, why are they having children?

they do

a "why" does not stop them.

people in poverty have a high birthrate than people in better financial positions statisticly.

how many households are feeding children without any workers anyway?

say it's one parent that stays with the kid, the other one is working to feed all of them.

that only people with a significant amount of savings for both to not earn incomes is something i don't think will happen soon.

if people put their children in daycare because otherwise they can't feed their children, then is it not relevant?

the financial situation of a this family means they have to get revenue from somewhere, without using a daycare as a way to make revenue by taking advantage of oppurtunity cost and competitive advantage.

i don't think bleach is comparable to a good daycare. bleach will kill a person if the person drinks bleach, a daycare won't kill a child. i'm not sure how good given milk to a child would be, there is mothers milk, but that only lasts so long till the child is weaned, but animal milk is not the same as giving good water or something else.

if the family can't afford to buy either bleach or milk, they can't feed the child milk, and can't use bleach to clean up.

so the financial comparison of survival mode vs thrive mode, in daycare or not in daycare matters because people put their children in daycare for reasons that include financial.

if we are seeing a corralation between bad situations for kids and poverty, that is something that matters.

What I wrote had nothing to do with the cost of day care, it was about whether daycare was good and in comparison to what. 

What I wrote had nothing to do with the cost of day care, it was about whether daycare was good and in comparison to what

.a lot of people in the world just don't get good things.

why would cost not be part of the equation of "good" and "in comparison"?

higher quality food costs more than lower quality food and is more good. being malnourished costs more than being malnourished and is more good.

.a lot of people in the world just don't get good things.

why would cost not be part of the equation of "good" and "in comparison"?

higher quality food costs more than lower quality food and is more good. being malnourished costs more than being malnourished and is more good.

I don't want to talk with you if you can't stay on topic and throw out something that does not address my point as though you have made an argument.

ill try to be a bit more on point with that comparison.

with daycare being bad compared to a loving positive home environment, why are these exclusive?

can't a person both go to daycare and have a loving and positive home environment, and a loving and positive daycare environment?

Does a child not have to be taught aggression before they themselves initiate it?

No, some children are aggressive by nature.  I know that people like to think it's all about nurture around here, but in fact nature has a lot to do with it (e.g. how identical twins exhibit about 50% similar characteristics even when raised in different families).  Out of my 3 children, only my daughter is aggressive by nature.  I understand Stefan's raison d'etre kind of requires nurture to be the vast majority of the influence, but even he admits that certain things are largely inherited, e.g. intelligence.  His "water takes the shape of its container" analogy is misleading in this regard, as it is both nurture and nature that shape a personality (this is the standard view amongst professionals, no one believes it is nurture entirely, not even Stefan would say that if pressed on the topic).

• Downvote 1

Bill,

There is no scientific explanation for aggressive behavior without also considering environment (epigenetics is the biological expression of our genes based on environmental factors), which includes stress on the mother during pregnancy. Was your wife under stress when she was pregnant with your daughter? Was she not sleeping well? Here's some additional information about the stress hormone, cortisol, if you are interested: http://teeccino.com/building_optimal_health/148/Six-Tips-To-Reduce-The-Stress-Hormone,-Cortisol.html. Elevated stress levels during pregnancy could explain why only one of your children expresses a "natural" tendency for aggression. I am assuming, of course, that there's no one in your immediate friends or family that your daughter is emulating. Aggressive behavior doesn't simply develop out of the blue with no explanation.

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.