Warren Farrell on Freedomain Radio

• 9 months later...

I found it quite disturbing when warren gave an example of good parenting as the father not giving the child desert unless he ate his peas. I suppose that says more about me than about warren or the example. If the father and child came to a negotiated agreement about it before hand, I guess I understand the reasoning. And I can see the point about teaching delayed gratification. but I still find it disturbing for some reason. 

• Upvote 1

I found it quite disturbing when warren gave an example of good parenting as the father not giving the child desert unless he ate his peas. I suppose that says more about me than about warren or the example. If the father and child came to a negotiated agreement about it before hand, I guess I understand the reasoning. And I can see the point about teaching delayed gratification. but I still find it disturbing for some reason. 

I agree !! I haven't been keen on that either. Thanks for pointing it out.

I agree !! I haven't been keen on that either. Thanks for pointing it out.

so its not just me then? I know I have issues with authority, and so was open to the idea that it might be fine for a father to work that way. I wouldnt feel that happy about doing it, myself, though.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

- Pink Floyd, Another Brick in the Wall

I also find the lack of negotiation at the family dinner table to be disturbing, as it lies at the root of dogmatic nutritional thought (three meals a day, healthy whole grains, portion control, calories in calories out), and perpetuates the propaganda onto the next generation.

My three precepts are listen to your body, eat that which makes you feel good, and finally, eat when you are hungry, stop eating when you aren't. Family dinner throws all of this out the window, at least in my personal experience.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.