Being told I'm too extreme...

efioptv

A few days after I listen to FDR from YouTube, I try to tell my parents about it. At first, they silently agree of what I said. After almost half a year now, I try to explain how the world is horrible, for example, taxation is the initiation of force, minimum wage is thief, and stuff about religious. They now saying that I'm too extreme and should accept other opinion. I tried to tell them this is logic, not personal preferences, but they still wont understand...am I blasting them with too much information? 

People learn to love the cage they're in. If you watched the movie The Shawshank Redemption (minor spoiler ahead) there's this one inmate that's been in prison for most of his life and he is set free when he's in his 70's. He became institutionalized and the outside world was foreign and scary to him. Ultimately he opted for suicide because he could not get back in prison (he didn't want to commit any crimes) and he could not live in the free world.

Those types of people have invested way too much into living in a cage in order to find an alternative. You talking about a better world to them sounds like "come to me to this magical place where you have to earn your worth and all the skills you accumulated prior have no value". It's like preaching democracy to a monarch. Nobody finds a lesser offer tempting, even though that's how they perceive that offer.

Sam Harris has this great analogy, albeit only using the religion angle, but the state is just another religion: The Fireplace Delusion

• Upvote 1

what does too extreme even mean? can a flower be too pretty? can the sky be too blue?

if you've brought the arguments to them in a rational way and they've had time to think about them, their response tells you everything you need to know about them, IMO -- that they're irrational people...

to borrow a quote for the Bible -- "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you."

Sorry for the late reply, been bust the last few days...

So I should get on one subject, discuss about it until they understands the logic of it and then move onto the next one?

People learn to love the cage they're in. If you watched the movie The Shawshank Redemption (minor spoiler ahead) there's this one inmate that's been in prison for most of his life and he is set free when he's in his 70's. He became institutionalized and the outside world was foreign and scary to him. Ultimately he opted for suicide because he could not get back in prison (he didn't want to commit any crimes) and he could not live in the free world.

Those types of people have invested way too much into living in a cage in order to find an alternative. You talking about a better world to them sounds like "come to me to this magical place where you have to earn your worth and all the skills you accumulated prior have no value". It's like preaching democracy to a monarch. Nobody finds a lesser offer tempting, even though that's how they perceive that offer.

Sam Harris has this great analogy, albeit only using the religion angle, but the state is just another religion: The Fireplace Delusion

ohhh 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.