Game of Thrones only written by men? SEXISM!

Personally I know of no memorable female character that wasn't written by a man. That article is just horrible, it has the slimy feel of social justice warrior all over it. It can't possibly do with the fact that maybe those male writers got there by merit or that female writers simply have no interest in the subject matter, no, the producers want to ignore "the female perspective" specifically.

I despise the feminist backlash and horse apple scented pleas of women about the lack of women writing. If you want more women writers, promote workshops to get young women to write more!. I was asking a feminist about The Lord of the Rings in college and she scoffed saying, "Tolkien has no idea how to write female characters." Ok, so what's so wrong with male characters? I honestly don't care if fictional characters have penises or not.

I've noticed while watching the series that Daenerys' story represents the political evolution of feminism. In the beginning, her brother is selling her off to the Khal for promised military support, which is the feminist historical depiction of the woman's role in society as property of men. She allows her new husband to kill her previous tormentor/master, but only after he rapes her. Why would you ever willingly sleep with your husband in an arranged marriage? That's oppression! Then, when the Khal dies, her military power fades because the natives won't willingly follow a female leader. Who would want to do that because most everyone is a misogynist in this story, right? Next, we learn that Daenerys is imbued with magical powers over dragons and dragonfire, representing the mystique and natural power of femininity (see also Melisandra). Later on, she steals an army (feminism co-opting the state) to enforce her will on other cities and regions and becomes a tyrant herself. This sequence of events loosely mirrors the transition of the feminist movement towards totalitarianism.

• Upvote 2

I guess we need an all womens short list for writers. But wait, that can't be done because the publishing industry relies on a meritocracy and the market gets to decide which writers become the most successful.

Time to put those superior multitasking skills to hand ladies. :P

I have a difficult time understanding the mentality some of the commenters on that article have in regard to the rape in the show. It seems like they believe they put it in because men like it? There are certainly a small minority of people who might, but the rape scenes are meant to make people feel very uncomfortable. It is in some way a cheap method of making someone a villain with no redeeming qualities, and also a method to be edgy, but it isn't a method to turn people on.

Reminds me of a Thunderfoot video where he talks about a part in a game where you save a bunch of girls from a prostitution ring, and how the feminist perspective was that this was diminishing female sexuality and promoting females as objects. Quite the opposite as the message is "this shit is wrong hence why you are using force to stop it".

And of course, because women are such limited, infantile creatures, they can't possibly ever relate to a story that isn't by and about women.  Because women are so brainless that they can't possibly get into Shakespeare, Whitman, Yeats, Joyce, Hardy, Conrad, Achebe, Rumi...  they couldn't possibly ever enjoy a film like Glengary Glen Ross because no one had a vagina.  Yeesh, and these people are supposed to be feminists?  If women are truly equal to men, why can't we be inspired by words by a man, or find great knowledge and an insight in a story about a man?  

As for the idea that no memorable female character was written by a woman, I would argue that there have been.  Jane Austin wrote some very memorable characters and was great at skewering some of the idiotic conventions of "femininity".  The Bronte sisters wrote some pretty compelling women as well.  However, since feminism, instead of the Brontes, we have "Chick Lit" and 50 Shades of Bland Sex.  The publishing industry (NOT a meritocracy but not 'patriarchal' either) realized they could make more money selling books about shopping and pseudo-BDSM to soccer moms than promoting intelligently written books that weren't catering to the general female population.  Can't blame them -- publishing is a business.  Truly intelligent women writing good books for thinking readers, as opposed to ranting Marxist-bimbo-feminists spewing pandering words to middle-aged slugs upset they didn't get more than fifty percent and a hot pool boy in the divorce, make up such a small percent of the publishing industry that any publisher would starve for generations if they attempted to focus on that market.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.